Chapter 74 Conspiracies

“Escaped?”
Gaara nodded seriously. “He was in a holding facility awaiting his execution. Somehow he managed to elude them.”
Taryn sighed. “He can turn to water.” She rubbed her temple. “Orochimaru experimented on him. He probably became liquid and hid in the mist that surrounds the village. “
“Perhaps,” Gaara mused, “in any case, he took two of the Swords of Mist as well.” 
“Only two?” 
“It was all he could get his hands on before they were on his trail.” He looked at her, “Kiri might suspect he’ll come here.” 
“To find Sasuke?” Taryn asked surprised, “is that why you’re keeping him in your office? You think he’ll turn on Suna?” 
Gaara narrowed his eyes at his sister. “In case you have forgotten, he has access to his chakra and thanks to you he is now aware of that.” He looked at the dead ninja. “He sensed it too. He’s not  the only foreign shinobi here, Taryn. I’m not taking any risks. He’s staying where he is for the time being.” He sighed. “We need to figure out how to proceed from here. We can’t accuse any of the Kages openly. It would create bad blood.” 
“I know,” Taryn sighed. She looked at Ichiru, who was still in Kuro’s arms. She needed to protect her son, no matter what.

Baki cleared his throat. “Kazekage-sama, if this assassin doesn’t report back, they’ll know something went wrong. They’ll keep trying until they succeed.”
Gaara nodded thoughtfully. He turned to Kuro. “Go to the bird watch. Write a message to Kakashi Hatake in Konoha to inform him about what happened.” He caught Taryn’s look. “He needs to know, Taryn.”
Taryn sighed.
“Take the body to Intel,” Gaara continued, “see if they can find out where he’s from and who sent him. I have to think of a way to solve this and prevent any future assaults.” He looked at Taryn. “I want an escort for you wherever you go.” When Taryn was about to protest, he lifted his hand to cut her off. “I mean it, Taryn. Don’t fight me on this. It doesn’t have to be a complete squad. It can be any of your students. Kankuro or Temari if you want, or anyone else you choose, but you’re not going out on your own until this is resolved. Are we clear?”
“Perfectly,” Taryn answered coolly.
Gaara ignored her tone and nodded. “Good.” He nodded at Baki and Kuro and headed for the door.
“What about Sasuke?” Taryn asked.
“I’ll send him back by nightfall,” her brother replied before walking out.
Baki followed him with the shinobi’s body.

Kuro walked up to Taryn and handed Ichiru to her. “Are you alright, sensei? Do you need me to stay?”
Taryn sighed and shook her head. “You heard Gaara. You have a message to send.”
“You sure?”
“Yeah,” Taryn said, “go on.”
“Okay,” Kuro nodded, “take care sensei. ‘
“You too.”

***

“Let’s try this,” Sakura said and took a syringe from her tray. “We studied Kabuto’s reports carefully and we think this may help suppress your blood.” She looked at Juugo. “If this doesn’t work, then I don’t know what will.”
Juugo sighed and closed his eyes. He leaned back against the wall of his holding cell and nodded. “Thank you. You’ve already done so much.” He glanced up at the window when a bird stroke down and started to sing. A faint smile crossed his lips.

Sakura looked at it in wonder. She had noticed before how peaceful he became every time he saw a bird. “You… really like birds, don’t you?”
Juugo smiled at her. “I’ve always liked animals better than humans. Animals don’t judge you. They accept you for who you are. You can trust them.”

Sakura looked at him thoughtfully and wondered how someone so kindhearted had ever followed Sasuke. She shook off the thought. There was no use in pondering over such thing. “Give me your arm,” she said softly and injected the liquid into his vein. “It will take some time for your body to respond,” she said, “we’ll observe you for the next twenty four hours and after that we’ll take a blood sample again.”
“Alright,” Juugo said. He looked at Sakura hesitantly. “Sakura-san, have you heard anything from Sasuke?”
Sakura bit her lip. Sharing information with prisoners was not allowed, but where Sasuke was concerned, there wasn’t much to tell. “No,”  she said, “no news.”