Extra: The might-have-been - Itachi

"I hardly see you anymore."

Itachi gritted his teeth and turned around to face his girlfriend. "I've had a lot of missions lately, Kaori."

Kaori crossed her arms. "You've been spending a lot of time with that Suna girl."

"She was appointed my partner," he said. It was only half a lie. She was his partner because he kept requesting it. They were a good team and he enjoyed her company. She was getting better at performing the fireball jutsu as well.

"You've been spending time with her outside of missions as well," Kaori accused, "I've seen you at Yakiniku."

"Were you following me, Kaori? I thought you were done with me. Didn't you say so yourself?"

Kaori bit her lip. "That was when you were still a suspect. The charges were dropped. We can start over now."

Itachi shook his head. What had he ever seen in this girl? When he first met her, she had been fun and spontaneous. She was pretty.
She was also selfish and utterly devoted to the Uchiha.
"No, we can't," he answered her, "it's over between us."

"It's because of her, isn't it?" Kaori spat, "it's because of Taryn. What does she have that I don't? She barely knows you."

"It has nothing to do with her," Itachi said emotionless.

"I don't believe you."

Itachi sighed. He'd had enough of her whining. "Believe what you want, Kaori. You always do anyway. I don't have time for you."

"What happened to you, Itachi? She's changed you. And you didn't attend the meeting last night either. You haven't been attending for weeks."

"I have other things to do," Itachi said. He eyed the hawk that was circling above his head and was glad for the reprieve. "Goodbye, Kaori."

He didn't dare look back. No matter what had happened between them, he had loved her once.

***

Taryn made her way towards the training grounds. She shifted her shoulders, not used to the weight that was added to her back. She didn't usually carry such large weapons. Her fan was far too heavy and was normally stored in a scroll.

When she passed the KIA Stone, she saw Kakashi standing there, quietly staring at the monument. She watched him for a while before walking up to him.
He looked up at her approach and took in her outfit. "Going on a mission?"

"Just training," Taryn answered.

Kakashi nodded and eyed the hilts that rose up above her shoulders. "I didn't know you used swords."

Taryn shrugged. "I don't, but my sensei always said that even though you could favor a certain weapon, you should at least have basic knowledge of other weapons. You never know when you might have to use them."

"He sounds like a wise man."

Taryn shrugged again. "I suppose."

Kakashi glanced at the swords on the girl's back. "Twin swords. Quite ambitious."

She smiled. "I like to aim high."

Kakashi looked at her puzzled. "Not many here can use twin swords though."

"Itachi can," Taryn noted casually.

Kakashi eyed her amused. "Itachi huh."

"What of it?" Taryn asked.

"Nothing."

"Right."

"So," Kakashi commented casually, "you're meeting up with him then?" Taryn crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. Kakashi sighed. "You've been spending a lot of time together."