Chapter 54 Keep your enemies closer

“So, where are we going exactly?” Yura asked casually. He trailed behind Taryn, with Hiro keeping a  watchful eye on him. It amused the older shinobi. Especially since Taryn didn’t seem to be bothered by his presence. Her students appeared to be as overprotective as they had been that first time. “You know,” he told the boy, “that was a clever trick you pulled in the Lighting country. With the scroll.”

Hiro glanced at him suspiciously but couldn’t help but smirk. “Not bad huh for annoying brats.”

Yura chuckled. “So,” he said, “how long ago did you take the Chuunin Exam? Must have been quite the performance when your Kazekage trusts you to protect his sister.”

“I was going to participate in the next,” Hiro said, “Together with my teammates, but I guess it’s gonna be a little postponed now.”

Yura was at a loss for words for a moment. “You’re still… a Genin?” he asked surprised and he glanced at Taryn.

“Keep your chakra low,” Taryn told them, ignoring their conversation, “We don’t know where the enemy might be hiding. We don’t know what to expect, so keep focused.”

“Is she always that serious?” Yura whispered at Hiro.

“Only when the situation requires it,” Hiro told him curtly. He looked around nervously. Even the trees seemed to be watching them. “Sensei?” he asked quietly, “are you sure that Juugo guy and Suigetsu will help us?”

“I don’t know,” Taryn admitted, “but I’ve been away from Akatsuki too long and I don’t know Sasuke that well either. They might have valuable information. I know they don’t want this war. It’s worth a try.”

“You’re gong to ask help from Uchiha’s subordinates?” Yura asked in disbelieve, “that’s why we are risking our lives here? Have you lost your mind?!” He shook his head. “First of all, there’s no way in hell they are going to agree to help you and even if they did, there’s just two of them. What good will it do?”

“You underestimate them,” Taryn said, “you allied with Orochimaru once, you must have heard about the curse mark. Juugo of Tempin is the source of it. You have no idea what he is capable of. And Suigetsu is one of the Houzuki brothers of Mist. Surely you have heard of them.”

“I’ve heard of Mangetsu, but his brother is just a kid.”

“Heh,” Taryn said, “my Genin still beat you back in Lightning. Did you know that was their fist mission?”

Yura gritted his teeth and glared at her. “Heh,” he scoffed.

Taryn pulled her cloak closer around her. It was getting chilly. She watched the steam come from her mouth.

“Stop,” Yura suddenly warned her.

Taryn eyed him confused, but halted nonetheless. “What is it?”

“Something’s not right,” he said, “didn’t you notice the temperature dropping?”

“Yes, but we’re in Iron. It’s the cold season and there’s snow all around. The cold is nothing out of the ordinary.”

“It’s true that the air is colder in Iron, but not this cold. You come from the dry climate of the desert. You may not know, but I’ve been to Iron many times. This cold… it’s not natural.”

“So you figured it out,” a shinobi stepped into view. He had a blank look on his face and didn’t seem completely in control of his limbs.

“Ryuu Kazera,” Yura growled.

“Who?” Hiro asked confused.

“Ryuu Kazera,” Yura repeated, “a missing nin from Mist. Died five years ago.”