Chapter 59 Desertstorm

“Sensei?” Kodan asked, “he’s not here. He died of illness a few years after you were banished.”

“You were revived as well,” Taryn said,” Kabuto brought you back because of your fighting skills and he set you against me to get under my skin. Because you were my teammate. So I’ll ask you again. Where is Tohrun-sensei?”

“Taryn,” Kodan said, “my movements right now may not be my own, but my words are. I do not know if Tohrun-sensei was revived, but he is not here with me.”

Taryn eyed him carefully for a moment, but nodded. “It was good to see you again,” she said and charged at him with Chidori. She gasped when he dodged it and tackled her. “How?” she breathed from the ground.

“You forget I know you,” Kodan told her, “and whoever is controlling my moves knows you too. Do you have something better?”

“I don’t want to use it,” she said.

Kodan sighed. “Taryn-chan, I’m already dead.”

A faint smile crossed Taryn’s face. “No one’s called me that in years,” she said while crawling up.

Kodan grinned. “No one dared to call you that,” he chuckled. He nodded at Lee. “So, he’s one of your students?”

“No,” Taryn said, “he’s not, but for now he is my comrade.”

“But you have students, right? I heard him mention them.”

Taryn nodded. “Your cousin Kuro is one of them,” she said.

“Kuro?” Kodan questioned surprised, “then how? How did you end up back in Suna?”

“I was called back when my father died.”

Kodan looked at her. “The Kazekage is dead?” he asked slowly.

“You don’t know?” Taryn questioned, “he’s been dead for four years.”

“Then … who is Kazekage now?” he asked.

“Gaara is,” Taryn smiled.

Kodan grinned again. “Your father would turn in his grave.”

“He’s doing a good job,” Taryn hissed.

“I’m sure he does,” Kodan nodded and lifted his hands to form new seals, “you wouldn’t have let yourself be banished for nothing.”

Taryn braced herself for a new attack and was surprised when he whipped his chain at her again instead of using ninjutsu. She whirled out of the weapon’s reach and caught the end. She wrapped it around her arm and gave a firm pull.

Kodan was janked off his feet, but quickly recovered and kicked her legs from under her.

Taryn fell back, but managed to flip Kodan over and sent a fireball after him. He rolled over fast and gasped at her.

Taryn narrowed her eyes and watched his every move. His hands formed seals and he slammed them on the ground, vanishing in the earth.

Taryn used her Byakugan to locate him. Kodan had always been good at hiding himself. His jutsu had always worked well with her Ryoki. She could unleash it at the enemy while he hid himself in the earth, out of harms way. So it took her a while to find him.

“Lee!” she shouted, “move out of the way!”

Lee didn’t hesitate. They boy may not have any chakra, but he had excellent reflexes.

When Kodan burst through the earth, Lee was no longer there.

“You’re fast,” Kodan complimented the boy.