Chapter 30: Snape and Dumbledore's Talk

~Severus's POV~

As soon as Miranda left, Dumbledore looked at me, "Severus, I'm afraid that I think Voldemort will return." I just looked at him, not able to say anything.

He continued to say, "If he does come back Severus, he will be after young Harry and Miranda....you have to start protecting them. But we have to watch Harry since he is in The Tri-Wizard Tournaments." "Headmaster....even if he tries to go after them and he gets really strong, The Dark Lord will kill me. I don't want to leave Miranda in that pain that she told us in her dream."

"Severus....you've grown to love her haven't you?"

I couldn't say much but I nodded my head and responded, "Yes I do...very much so." "Ah, I see...but when The Dark Lord gets really strong and if he returns he will...I will have to be killed likely and you have to do it. Only then he will trust you the most." I raised my eyebrows in shock, "But Albus..."

"Severus I know it's difficult---" "Headmaster, what will happen to Miranda and I if that happens? She won't trust me at all after that." He sighed and said, "Severus...I know you two want to be with each other forever and I can clearly see it in you and Miranda's eyes as well. But when Voldemort finds out, he will try to use you to get to her. Not only that....but he will kill you because, the elder wand which will you will have control under, won't truly be under his control so he will kill you."

I responded getting angry, "What does that have to do with Miranda?"

"I'm gettin' to that Severus...if young Harry, Miranda, Miss. Granger, Mr. Weasley, and the others find some kind of way to bring you back if you do get killed....that may or may not work. But no matter what you or Miranda do....you both will be in danger. When he comes back alive, you will be ordered to be with him again and you will become the person that you used to be."

"I don't want to return to him, Albus. I want to change and not be that same person. Headmaster, I have found someone who loves me and will not run off with someone like Lily Potter did. I will love her in a way always but I've come to love Miranda more. I don't want to just protect her or be there for her....I want to be with her forever. On Christmas Eve, she even said that we both should run away. I want too but I know I can't and I told her that."

I didn't notice that I was getting upset and angry until he looked at me, "Severus, calm yourself now." Calm," I said, "how can I be calm at a time like this? After a few moment of silence I asked softly, "Everything's going to change isn't it?"

He looked at me and nodded his head.

He made me look into his eyes, "Severus....even back then when you were underneath his power. On the night you went with him to kill Miranda's parents; you even told them you were sorry. You stayed by Miranda's side after it all happened and Voldemort vanished. You cared about her and you protected her. You felt sorry for her to witness her parents being killed like the Potters' and her losing them at a young age. Now years later...you are still protecting her."

He grabbed my hand as I looked at him.

He continued to say, "Severus, I feel that no matter what, you want to be by her side and you care deeply for her. Knowing and seeing everything, that's why she came to love you. She accepts you for who you really are and I feel that you feel the same about her. No matter what, you two won't give up on one other and you guys will do anything to just be by each other's side. That is what true love is Severus.....You didn't give up because you didn't want to."

After taking that all in, I sat down and started to cry without knowing what to say or do.

~Miranda's POV~

I was still outside by the door, hearing Dumbledore and Severus's conversation.

I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep for a long while. I was taking in all that Professor Dumbledore just said to Severus. I almost started to cry again. I then heard Severus started to cry so I opened the door and Dumbledore motioned me to come in. I went up to Severus and put my hand on his shoulder. He had his head in his hands close to his knees. He looked up at me and I could see all that he was feeling through his eyes. He wanted me to just be in his arms.

So, he stood up and wrapped his arms around me tightly as we both began to cry. After a couple minutes, we both looked at each other. He opened his mouth to say something but I put my finger on his mouth, "Please don't say anything Severus. It's alright now. I heard the whole conversation. We are together right now and we are happy and that's all that matters. We will worry about all this when the time comes but for now....let's just enjoy the time that we have together."

Dumbledore nodded his head to agreeing with me, "That is exactly what I was trying to say to him before Miranda." I looked back at him and I can tell that he really is upset. I saw that look in his eyes, like he was a little upset kid again.

I kissed his lips softly, "It's all going to be okay, my dear."

He smiled halfway and returned my kiss. He broke away and stated, "I'm so thankful to have you currently love...I love you Miranda." I smiled and responded, "I feel the same way Severus and I love you too." He wrapped his arms tightly around me and I put my head in his chest.