Chapter 16: Bad News

~ Miranda's POV ~

I felt glad to be getting out of the hospital wing, for the most part.

While Severus and I were walking down to breakfast in The Great Hall, I happen to see Hermione sitting on the floor crying. I also noticed quickly that Harry, Ron, Neville, and the twins sitting along by her on the floor. In all the years of getting to know Hermione, I've never seen her act like this; ever. Sensing something was wrong, I immediately let go of Severus's hand and ran over towards them. I kneeled down in-front of Hermione as I looked very concerned, "Hermione what's wrong? What happened?" She looked up at me and said in-between tears, "Its dad Miranda...he's really sick. Mum sent a letter to us saying that he's sick and is in the hospital. He has been sick for a while now and isn't sure how long he has left."

I started panicking, "Will he be okay?!" "No one knows much and I'm guessing that Mum doesn't either. But if even if she does, she won't probably say anything in a letter to me and you. I should've known something was wrong before we left for the school year Miranda---if only I sensed it..." I couldn't bring myself to say anything to her as I was in a state of shock. To learn that my adopted, muggle dad has been sick for a while and didn't say anything to either of us about it. Suddenly, I felt Severus behind me as he leaned down to put his hand on my shoulder and then kneel down by me. I wasn't expecting him to do that and neither did everyone else.

But at the same time, no one said for him to leave so he stayed by us. For that, I'm glad that he decided to stay; we needed an adult with this type of situation. "If anything Miranda," I looked at Hermione as she continued to say, "in the letter, mum wanted me to tell you right away. I would've said something to you sooner, but I didn't want to bother you and Professor Snape. Especially since you were in the hospital wing, so I waited for you to be released." "Thanks Hermione for being that concerned about me...and Severus too...but you didn't have to wait for me to get out; in-order to tell me something like this. You could've came in the hospital and told me yourself."

I was trying not to tear up myself to be strong for Hermione's sake but I was anyway.

I heard footsteps coming our way as I turned around to see Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall coming towards us all In a way, it had seemed like they already knew what was happening  Professor Dumbledore looked at Hermione and I as he sighed deeply, "Ms. Parker, Ms. Granger---I'm afraid I have some bad news." We both stood up, shaking to our core, "What is it?" He took a breath as he had sadness in his eyes, "There isn't any easy way to say this to you both. Your muggle mother informed us here at the school and she wanted me to tell you guys personally that your father has unfortunately died from his condition."

"We're so, deeply sorry ladies," Professor McGonagall said in sorrow while looking at us. Hermione and I both looked at each other and started to cry immediately. Hermione shouted, "Please tell me it isn't true! My dad cannot be gone!" "I'm very sorry girls...but it's true," Dumbledore told us both. We started to cry even harder from sadness and in total shock. It seemed like he was fine before Hermione and I left for the train. Dad put on a brave face for us both during the summer; and that explains why he spent so much time with us. Along with him telling me on the night before I had to return here to Hogwarts that he was glad to have adopted me and have me a member of his family----and that he---he loved me and always will.

Severus pulled me into his arms while holding onto me tightly; knowing that I might lose my balance.

I noticed that Ron grabbed a hold onto Hermione and hugged her tightly. Harry stood right by her and had a hand on her shoulder as he looked over at me with concern and sadness. I turned around and started to cry into Severus's chest as I felt him stroking my hair lightly Ron let Hermione cry in his chest as Professor McGonagall came by her side to comforted her with words. Professor Dumbledore told Severus to stay with me and Hermione for now; knowing we were going to be upset. I felt Severus slowly letting me go as Ron had let Hermione go. Hermione and I went and hugged each other tightly; just crying even more. 

Everyone else just stood there around us---not knowing what to say or do. A few minutes later, me and Hermione seemed to stop crying and let go of each other. We held hands as we went to our dormitory area; dragging out feet along sadly. She suggested for her to be with me as she didn't want to be around anyone right now other than me. I knew how hard this was for her and it is for me too. He was my stepdad and I loved him a lot. Once we got to our dormitory area, we climbed onto her bed and just sat there silently. After a while, Harry, Ron, Neville, and the twins came in to join us with ice cream from Hogsmade. They made us join them down from the bed and over by the fireplace as Hermione and I sat down.

We both ended up smiling as Harry handed us an ice cream cone each.

~ Severus's POV ~

After Hermione and Miranda left the area, the rest of us just stood there, not knowing what to do. Mr. Potter and the rest of them went off somewhere as Albus gave them permission too. Minerva ended up leaving soon after that, shaking her head at this situation. Albus went and left behind Minerva, leaving me just standing there alone. I decided to go get some chocolate and a few red roses for Miranda and Ms. Granger to bring them some comfort. I didn't hate Ms. Granger completely, I respected her after all. But I just hate for the fact that she is a smart, know-it-all and speaks out of turn.

It would be rude of me to seem so cold following what had occurred. After I got some red roses and chocolates from Hogsmade and came back to Hogwarts, I went to Miranda's dormitory area. Peeking through the entrance, I saw her, Ms. Granger, that brat Potter, the Weasley twins with their brat younger brother Ron, and also Mr. Longbottom too. I personally just didn't like the Weasleys' or Potter; for obvious reasons. But alas, they're Miranda's friends so I'll have to learn or teach myself into tolerating them more often. I watched them from a distance eating ice cream cones, laughing and smiling a little.

I smiled ever so softly to myself; knowing they were bringing both of them comfort. All I want is for Miranda to be happy; I didn't like to see her in such a distress state. Not wanting to disturb them, I wrote a note to Miranda and Ms. Granger. I left the small note with the chocolates and red roses by the entrance of their dormitory. I then left the area and went to my own personal room. Once I got there, I shut the door and walked over to the fireplace. I started the fire with my wand and sat in my armchair by the fire. I went through my hair with my hand and put my head in my hands near my knees.

I know it's dangerous in many ways to have these feelings for Miranda. Especially in the future, if Miranda chooses to stay in a relationship with me. If Lord Voldemort does indeed come back, I'll have to go to him again and become a death eater. If that has to occur, me being with Miranda might not be a good idea. I still don't exact know what I truly feel for her. I know I like her a lot but I remember telling myself that I love her. Do I really truly love her as much as I keep saying I do? Is she the one I have been waiting for?

I don't know.

I don't know the answer to any of these questions and it's a constant battle in my own mind. I know for a fact that Albus trusts me. He trusts me being here, becoming a spy in the past, being a teacher, and protecting those that need to be protected. I didn't want to turn him down again; like I already did that one time by killing Miranda's parents all those years ago. I didn't think he would forgive me but he did. He forgave me because it wasn't fully my doing, it was The Dark Lord's. It was what he wanted and both of us knew I had to obey what he wanted, asked of you to do, or complete.

It's not right for a student and a teacher to be together doing this. It's inappropriate and wrong; but at the same time it feels right. After all, I still can lose my job if it seems fit. Even if Albus knows everything,  I have feelings for her and that's what I cannot deny or ignore. All the other teachers and even the ministry can convince Albus to fire me; if that has to happen. After all, this is the only job I have had since my past with The Dark Lord; being an ex-death eater. But, I've come to like and love Miranda with all my heart; in a way. Part of me wants to be with her yet at the same time, I can't risk losing this job. Nor even risk her safety; as long as she's with me she'll be in danger. Especially if he returns

I guess I have to tell her to forget about me...maybe it's for the best.