Chapter 2: Home to Others and Goblet of Fire

We finally arrived at what we also call home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Nothing about it changed, but the castle itself was beautiful to see, day or night. It's always the same teachers, except there's a new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor every year. It's almost like it's a curse or something. When we got off the train, Hagrid was there with a big lantern as we all went up and hugged him. I guess to have light for when it gets dark. I asked Harry, Ron, and Hermione if I should ask Hagrid about my crush on Professor Snape to see his opinion and if it was obvious and not hidden as I thought. They all said yes, but it was truly up to me; I trust Hagrid because he's my friend. I asked him gently, "Hagrid, could I possibly tell you something I would like your opinion on in private sometime? If that's alright with you, of course." He nodded his head as he looked down at me, "Of course, come by sometime tomorrow before the year gets too busy for ya. Dumbledore's got something special planned this year."

~~~~~~~~~~

So with that, we all gathered in the Great Hall, sitting with our houses like always.

We all saw some large ship that came in earlier, so I know something is definitely up with other schools. I secretly took some quick glances at Snape when no one noticed, not even him. We all paid attention as Professor Dumbledore stood behind his podium and started to speak his speech. "Now then. Since we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see, Hogwarts has been chosen---" Suddenly, we heard the door open and saw Flitch walk in and go to Dumbledore to say something. I watched closely as they engaged quickly, and Flitch left the room again. Then, just like that, Professor Dumbledore continued his speech as we listened to him closely.

"So, Hogwarts has been chosen for a legendary event. The Tri-Wizard tournament. For those who don't know, the Tri-Wizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school, a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear: if chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint-hearted, but more of that later. Please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their headmistress, Madam Maxime." We all turned and watched a large group of girls, all dressed in blue, dancing their way up the room. I looked toward Ron, and I saw him staring into the girls. I shook my head as he watched how they walked, and he muttered, "Bloody hell." I chuckled as I noticed that they released some butterflies in the air and bowed.

At the same time, a big, tall woman walked into the room and up by Professor Dumbledore and the other teachers. She was certainly a tall woman; the only one I've ever seen that's tall like her is Hagrid. We all clapped in applause for their entrance and welcome. Afterward, we had our attention back to Professor Dumbledore as he said, "Now, our friends from the north. Please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and the high master Igor Karkaroff." Again, we watched as many nice-looking older boys came and started to walk in. They each had bo staffs in their hands as they did something special with them, like tapping them on the ground and twirling them around. After that, in walked an older boy followed by a man whom I guess was the high master. "Blimey, it's him, Viktor Krum," I heard Ron say out loud. The boys breathed some fire and were divided in the middle, and the high master, Igor Karkaroff, walked in between the boys.

He went up and greeted Professor Dumbledore with a hug; they seemed delighted to see one another.

After a while, as we were conversing and eating, I was sitting beside Hermione when we heard, "Your attention, please!" The room grew quiet as Professor Dumbledore got our attention again and spoke, "I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory, that's what awaits the student who wins the Tri-Wizard Tournament. But to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks. For this reason, the ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all of this, we have the head of the Department of International Magic Cooperation, Mr. Bartimus Crouch." Out of nowhere, thunder was heard from above as I looked up to see rain pouring down on us. I heard screams coming from other students; I was mad because I didn't want to get wet. I looked at Harry, and we both saw a man standing in the distance by the doorway.

He shoots his wand at the ceiling as the rain stops falling, and there is only quiet murmuring. "Who is that," I asked. "Bloody hell, it's Mad-Eye Moody." "Alaster Moody? The aura," Hermione said. "A dark wizard catcher," I heard being explained, "He's supposed to be mad as a hatter these days." I watched carefully as Harry watched him, too, limping and greeting Dumbledore. We all see him go off to the side and secretly take a drink of something. "What's that he's drinking, do you suppose," I heard one of the kids ask. "I don't know," Harry responded, "but I don't think it's Pumpkin juice." Mr. Crouch started to explain loudly, "After much deliberation, the ministry has concluded that for their own safety that, no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the tournament. This decision is final."

We started to mutter and talk amongst ourselves, unhappy about this. I don't know what the rules were beforehand, but I guess that's being a little bit unreasonable. I heard Fred and George booing as George yelled, "That's rubbish! You don't know what you're doing!" "Silence," Professor Dumbledore yelled loudly to the room as the muttering slowly went down to silence. Watching him, he uses magic over something that turns into a goblet that withholds a pretty blue flame. "The goblet of fire," he started to say, "anyone wishing to submit themselves in for the tournament merely write their name upon a piece of paper and throw it into the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly; if chosen, there's no turning back. As from this moment, the tri-wizard tournament has begun."