Chapter 1: A New School Year

But then, Severus Snape did something I wasn't expecting at all. He just walked right up and kissed me on the lips, and Harry was right behind me. I stood there, not knowing what to do or if I should kiss him back, I didn't, however. Knowing that I wasn't saying or doing anything, he started kissing me harder and rougher. Right in front of my friends and my boyfriend, for that matter! I felt his teeth biting on my lower lip as his tongue was begged in. I pushed him off in a rush, forcefully exclaiming, "What the bloody hell, Snape?! What's wrong with you!?!" He stood there frozen stiff like a deer in headlights standing in the middle of the road. I bet you're probably wondering what's happening and how or why Snape is kissing me during a weird point in the school year forcefully and not by choice.

Well, let me start at the very beginning of it all...the beginning of the school year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wake up, Miranda; you don't want to be late for your first day, honey!"

That's what I faintly heard as I was waking up. I opened my eyes and yawned as I saw Hermione was already out of bed and getting dressed. It was barely dawn when I noticed Molly Weasley standing in the doorway. It's been two days since what happened at the World Cup. I'll get into that a little later. Anyway, Hermione and I share a room, whether at home with Mum and Dad or here with the Weasleys. We don't mind as we're always together and can barely be without. You're probably wondering how and why I live with the Grangers and share a room with Hermione. Well, I've been living with the Granger family since I was six years old. They've came to adopt me after my parents had suddenly passed away, and my parents were best friends with the Grangers'. Mum and Dad said it only felt right to take care of me since it felt right to my birth parents as to what they would've wanted for me. I don't know of any family relatives that would've taken me in anyway.

Mum and Dad are dentists in the muggle world; dentists care for people's teeth. Anyway, I hope you know the story of Lord Voldemort killing Harry Potter's parents many years ago. It turns out that Lord Voldemort ordered to have my parents killed. I don't know how he was alive then and why he had my parents killed, but it somehow happened. My birth father was a muggle like Mum and Dad, while my birth mom was a wizard; I'm a half-blood, and Hermione's a muggle-born. Although, I wish my parents were still around so they could see me now and learn that I'm a wizard like my birth mom. I try to avoid what happened to my parents dying, but I remember a lot of that day. Since Hermione and I grew up together, we're really close and feel like sisters. That's why we can barely separate from each other now. Honestly, I don't know much about my family history because I never got a chance to learn about it from my birth parents.

Mum and Dad always treat me like I'm one of their own, even though they adopted me. They were there for me when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named killed my parents and haven't left my side since. My birth parents did the same thing that Harry's did, honestly. They both tried to protect and save me from He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named powers, yet he won. One of my parents may've been a muggle, but one or both must've known enough to end up dying under the hands of the most powerful evil wizard. Maybe they thought I would turn out to be a mud-blood because of genetics instead of a half-blood; I truly don't know for sure. I guess I won't know. Unless my birth mom did things I don't know about in her life. I wonder if my birth dad even knew anything. My life feels like it hasn't been the same since that fateful day; now I'm fourteen going on fifteen. I'm about to start my fourth year at Hogwarts.

I'm just a teenager trying to find my way like everyone else.

Just as Hermione and I were about to run into Platform 9 ¾, I flashed back into reality. At the same time, I suddenly remembered the last time I saw Mum and Dad was before we left to go to the Weasleys. Mum and Dad had been standing nearby as they wanted to meet us here to see us off for the year. I hugged them goodbye since I knew that we wouldn't see them for who knows how long. For some reason, though, I had held Dad in for a hug much longer and tighter, having a horrible feeling. It felt like I would never see him again, but I tried to ignore it. Anyway, Hermione and I went through the platform to the train. After walking towards the train to get on, we met up again with the Weasleys as we hugged them quickly and talked for a minute to say goodbye. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I got on, taking our seats as the train began to move to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

~~~~~~~~~

I was ecstatic that we would all be together again for another year. I truly missed us being together; they're all I really have besides Mum and Dad as my step-parents. After the Trolley lady came by, I noticed Hermione still had the newspaper in her grasp but wasn't looking at it. When Harry and Ron sat back down, Hermione stated, "This is horrible; how can the ministry not know who conjured it? Isn't there any security or?" I shrugged my shoulders in response, "I have no idea." I mentioned this was going to come up a little later on, from what I said earlier. See, what happened recently at the World Cup was that death eaters attacked the area. Everyone was panicking, and Harry got knocked out cold for a while. It took me, Ron, and Hermione ages to find him, and Harry's scar was hurting then, too. Deep down, Harry and I had a feeling that things would start changing.

Anyway, Ron chipped in after my response, saying, "There're loads, according to Dad, that worried them. It happened right under their noses." Hermione and I noticed that Harry was rubbing his head again. "It's hurting again, isn't it, Harry," Hermione stated, "your scar." "I'm fine," he simply responds. She continues as she looks directly at him. "You know Sirius will want to hear about this, Harry. What you saw at the World Cup and the dream." We were silent as I watched Harry write a letter to Sirus, seal it up, mark his name on it, and give it to an owl to deliver to him. It suddenly got silent since none of us said anything, so I asked Harry, "So Harry, tell me, do you fancy anyone special yet?" He gave me a weird look and shook his head, "No, not really; besides Cho, of course, which you already know."

Hermione chimed in, "I know you fancy someone quite a lot, Miranda." She winked as I blushed lightly and looked down. "Hermione," I exclaimed while laughing, and she giggled. Ron asked curiously, "Who is it, Miranda?" She bluntly responded, "Professor Snape." "Hermione," I quietly shouted playfully in response. Ron and Harry looked at each other and then at me like I was completely and mentally crazy! I mean, it's not my fault he's so mysterious and yet somehow very dashingly handsome in a weird way, besides the fact he's my Potion's teacher. Yes, that doesn't include the obvious age gap, but something about him is attractive. See, I started to have a crush on him in year three, and Hermione only knew because I told her. I kept it just between her and me until now since it would be obvious one day.

Now Harry and Ron know, my other best friends. They said it was obvious to them that I had a crush on our Potions teacher and never bothered to ask me about it. In other words, it was easy for them to tell, but they were too afraid to ask. Probably because it felt weird to try and bring the conversation up to me; it started to make me wonder just how obvious it could be to everyone else that I knew of, or anyone else for that matter. I mean, if it's kind of becoming obvious to my three best friends, then who else is it obvious to? Better yet, does Professor Dumbledore somehow know or sense it from me? After all, I don't know exactly what about him has made me crush on dear Severus Snape over time. Maybe it's because I'm going through puberty as a hormonal teenager. Or is it because I'm attracted to older males? I don't bloody know; all I know is something about him just attracts me to him, and I can't explain it.

After that whole conversation, I couldn't say anything back for fear of pure embarrassment. Since Harry was sitting right next to me, he rubbed my back lightly, "Don't worry, Miranda, we'll support you about this no matter what we think. You're our best friend; we'll always be here." Ron and Hermione nodded their heads in agreement as I smiled softly, "Thanks, you guys. It made me feel better, hearing that." They smiled back as we leaned into the middle, and group hugged. For the rest of the way to Hogwarts, we all laughed and talked with one another. As any small group of friends would do on a typical school day, it was nice because it felt like it's been so long since we'd all gotten to do that together. I also thought of the school year because I was interested in seeing how things would go down and thinking about a certain teacher.