Eight

The next morning you woke up in what felt like a dream. Sunlight covered your skin for the first time in forever from the window of your newfound home. The fauna from outside still sang their song as you rose up from the silky sheets of your bed. Your bare feet hit the old wood floors of the hut, and it felt like home. You took another look around, this time in better lighting of the new shelter you would now call home.

An old bookshelf was by the desk you had seen the night before, the few books that laid on the shelf had collected dust from the time they had sat there, cobwebs stretching out from the pages. An old pen sat on the side of the desk along with a stack of papers, certain words in a foreign language scratched out on the desk.

"How odd." You whispered, but your thoughts were interrupted by a rumble from your stomach. You were getting pretty hungry.

You looked over the woodstove at the array of dried herbs that were left behind by the past owner, inspecting each and every one. You recognized only a few from your teachings, but maybe a look around the forest floor and a creative mind would be able to tie together for a stewed lunch. You took a woven basket from under the small dining table, securing in on your hip. Inside of it, you spotted a small canteen that you could use to gather water. You would have to remember that.

You gave yourself a smile, taking your lightsaber hilt from your bedside and hopping out of the door onto the balcony. The sun showed brightly through the thick canopy of foliage and greenery outreaching towards the heavens, and it felt like a little drop of paradise had settled on your tongue.

 The climb down from the hut was a struggle, still considering the frail structure of the aging ladder that lead down from your hut. You would have to invest in rebuilding it over time.

Your toes immediately sunk into the mossed floor, and it felt like your whole body was coming to life. The plants, the air, the sun. You had missed it all so dearly. Although this wasn't your home planet by any stretch of the imagination, it was the closest thing you could have. You thank God you weren't close to somewhere like Hoth or Mustafar. You wouldn't have survived for a minute.

After taking a short scavenge around the area without straying too far from the hut you had found a hearty supply of herbs and fruit you could identify effectively as edible. You kept thinking to yourself how exciting it would finally be to have an actual bowl of something filling besides the sorry excuse they called food that they fed you on The Finalizer.

Climbing back up onto the balcony of your home you began the preparation of your tiny feast, lighting the wood in the woodstove with your lightsaber.

You placed a pot from the bottom of the shelf onto one of the two eyes, taking your canteen from the basket and emptying half of the water into the pot. It was time to make your broth.

You opted to use the rest of the water to make a pot of tea, checking the kettle to make sure it was clean. Thankfully, it was. It had surprisingly been kept nice on the inside and away from dust. You sat the kettle down on the stove, waiting for it to boil along with your pot of water. You dropped a few of the dried herbs into the pot, deciding to make a broth instead of using plain water.

Minutes passed as you continuously added plants and herbs to the stew, humming quietly a tune you had remembered from long ago. The stew was almost ready and you had managed to dig out a bowl from the messy cupboard above the stove, setting it down on the table in the middle of your home. You heard the kettle begin to whistle after a while, letting your eyes wander from the window as you lounged back in the dining chair.

You had crafted a little satchel filled with flowers and herbs to steep in your cup you had also found, pouring the water up to the brim before setting the teabag in. You gave a small chuckle, dipping it in and out before letting it simmer. You walked over to your pot of stew, the fire now being nothing but embers as you scooped out a hearty bowl for you to enjoy. 

It had almost taken the entire day, but you felt as if it was worth it. At least, it felt like it was worth it. You felt like you could finally be a normal girl again. If Kylo didn't come back for you, then maybe you could make friends with the Ewoks. You could become apart of their village and help them defend themselves. Perhaps they would allow you to be their very own defender.

You sat down for dinner, taking your satchel out of the cup and giving it a sip. You hummed in delight. The tea has just the right blend of sweet and rich intertwining to create a combination of what tasted almost like sunrises. You tried the soup next, hoping for the very best. It wasn't the greatest bowl you had ever had, but it was definitely homemade and had the taste of it too. That alone was enough to satisfy you.

You stared out the window at the setting sun, eating your bowl of stew absentmindedly the whole time as you thought about the many things swirling through your mind. Kylo Ren tried to crawl his way to the center of attention, but you made sure to push him far to the back. Kylo Ren and The First Order needed to be the last thing on your mind right now. The most important thing was here, the moment. Everything and every movement you made was a work of freedom and rebellion against Kylo Ren. It felt empowering. Just a day ago you were contemplating feelings for the pathetic excuse for a man, but that was no more. You were determined you were to be your own person. You were not owned by the likes of him, nor would you ever be.

Perhaps, you thought, you would run into Jacqueline and Atticus while you were here. Maybe they were still helping the galaxy. Perhaps they had joined the Resistance and you would reunite again and become Resistance fighters together. Maybe you would be the one holding the lightsaber to General Ren's throat displayed in front of the cheering crowds of stormtroopers, free of subjugation from The First Order. You could only dream, but there was inevitably still hope. Not until you were told to your face that they were dead.

You shivered at the very thought, catching yourself smiling. You had finished your soup somewhere in the midst of your daydreaming, and the sun had already completely set. The stars were now peaking through the window of your home. You sighed, going over to put your stove out for good, but in the process.. A blinding red light shown through the window. Your body immediately reacted, your eyes squinting as you attempted to make out what the light was all about.

It was too late to recognize the TIE fighter that was approaching through the trees at lightning speed, but it wasn't as if you had anywhere to dodge the massive bullet plunging straight for you. You gasped, reaching for cover before the deafening sound of the TIE fighter pierced your ears followed by a wave of dust.

Kylo Ren had just taken off the roof of your new home.

You could barely pull yourself together, having just enough reactive time to grab for your lightsaber and escape the rain of flying debris. Your legs shook with panic. Where were you to go to?

You didn't have a clue, but you knew one thing that was for sure.

Haul ass, and get the hell away from Kylo Ren.