Kiku: 07

???: I swear, you dote on that thing more than me.

I jolted, unaware Kiku had snuck up behind me. Placing the shallow dish of milk to the side, I pet the kitten before stepping back inside.

Kiku: Well? We're going to be late for breakfast.

Despite his tone, he was kind enough to let me keep the kitten, even if only outside. I wonder if that means he's starting to trust me more...

Francis: What perfect timing, you two.

Feliciano: Showing up together? So scandalous.

Kiku merely glared back, enough to shut the Italian's smiling mouth for the time being.

Ludwig: It isn't proper to arrive late.

Reader: Sorry, it was my fault.

Arthur: Oh?

I felt myself uncontrollably flush at his insinuation.

Reader: It's not like you're picturing!

Alfred: Use your indoor voice, dunce.

I had gotten worked up, unknowingly raising my voice. 

How embarrassing...

Francis: I bet Yao could hear you from inside the kitchen.

He chuckled, wearing a wide smile.

Arthur: Kiku, why don't you go help your old man? I'm starving.

'Old man'? I thought they said none of them were related though...

Kiku outright ignored him. Normally he doesn't mind talking back, especially if it's directed at me. Is it somehow different this time?

Ludwig: Nothing is prohibiting yourselves from assisting.

The German muttered behind his glass of water.

Arthur: That's rich coming from a work horse like you.

Ludwig's face paled somewhat, showing confusion.

Ludwig: Work horse? It's called pulling your own weight. Maybe you could give it a try?

Alfred and Feliciano chuckled, Arthur spitting out a sharp 'tsk' before crossing his arms in defeat.

As they died down Yao brought out the trays of food, placing the final plate in front of me.

Mm, it smells delicious!

I looked over to see what Kiku thought but stopped. His hand was shaking as he held a fork in an iron fist. It suddenly relaxed, utensil slipping to the table next to his white plate.

Kiku: I can't stomach this.

He said, barely above a whisper.

Reader: Kiku?

He got up and left, ignoring the fact I had said anything at all.

Was there something wrong with the food? It looks and smells fine to me. Great, even.

Perhaps noticing my expression, I looked up at an unusually soft voice.

Ludwig: I'm afraid things are always going to be more complicated than whatever you are thinking. Best leave him alone and eat your breakfast. It would be rude to waste it.

The others remained silent for once, eating their food as if nothing had transpired. Why are they all like that? Can't they confront things for a change?

[Go After Him]

[Wait]

I went to push out my chair to stand but stopped at the last moment. Ludwig and the others have known Kiku far longer than I have. As much as I want to see if he's okay, I know Ludwig is right.

I leaned back in towards the table, picking up my fork. 

I can't believe the little that Arthur had said was enough to silence Kiku like that. Oh, I know! I'll bring him the best cake there is to cheer him up!

Smiling to myself in satisfaction with my plan, I brought the fork to my lips, silver cool.