Arthur: 14

Days passed.

As promised I'm not allowed to leave the estate.

It's comforting knowing that Arthur is looking out for me. The others are still curious about the other day but he hasn't told a single one what the hunter's true motives were.

I found myself wondering about Arthur more.

About our strange relationship.

Were we friends?

I let out a sigh, carrying the tray of tea into the study, Arthur's face obscured by a gray newspaper.

Arthur: Ah, thank you.

He said, briefly looking up from his reading. He turned his head towards the window, rain falling from gray skies.

Arthur: It's been pouring for quite awhile now...

Reader: I don't mind the rain, it's just--

A boom of thunder interrupted me, tensing my entire body, tray of tea tumbling to the floor. All I could do is stare at the stained carpet, standing as still as a statue.

Arthur: Are you okay?

He asked, slight worry in his voice. Then his expression changed, as if remembering something. My cheeks burned with embarrassment, stuttering in my attempt to change his focus from me.

Reader: Aren't you afraid of anything?

Arthur:...No.

Liar.

Reader: I think you're lying.

Arthur: It doesn't matter what you think.

He stepped closer, reaching out before flicking me on the forehead.

Reader: That reminds me, why did you act that way towards the man at the door?

Arthur: I don't know what you're talking about.

He said, tone noticeably dropping.

That isn't true; he's lying again. That day...he had screamed at the person at the door, hand wrapped around their throat. Who were they? All that remained was a simple silver cross necklace on the ground.

Reader: They didn't do anything to--

Arthur: How would you know?!

He yelled, loud voice echoed by a boom of thunder. I had jolted in place, him realizing it was because of his outburst this time, not the thunder.

Arthur is a highly sensitive person, I know that. And yet I can't help but want to know more about him. How can I if he always hides behind a knowing smile or harsh words?

I slowly turned to face him.

Reader: Why are you so reluctant to tell me? I know I may not be the Chosen, so we aren't soulmates, but...

I couldn't find the words to finish my thought. The room was steeped in silence, aroma of spilt tea in the air. Maybe I was too optimistic, to think I could learn more about him...

Arthur: THEY didn't do anything...

Arthur: It's the kind of person they are that I detest more than anything in this world.

Kind of person? How would he know the type they are within moments of meeting them? Despite the building questions I silently listened.

He walked over towards the window, footfalls soft against the carpet, staring out at the gray world around us.

Arthur: A long time ago people learned I wasn't human. Their belief in a higher being led them to confront me. They were convinced I was cursed into a monster by the devil. They did everything they could think of to change me...but nothing worked.

He slowly gripped the ends of his shirt, lifting the fabric up around his shoulders. I let out a gasp, skin mottled, long reaching scars tracing his pale flesh.

Arthur: Not the holy water, the 'lashes of truth', or their fiery silver crosses.

...How horrible! 

I felt tears well in my eyes, walking closer to him. He watched the rain fall as I reached out. He jumped slightly as my fingertip touched his skin.

Reader: I'm so sorry...I didn't know.

He let out a pitiful laugh.

Arthur: Heh, of course not. No one does.

He gazed at me over his shoulder, green eyes dark and troubled. How I wish to ease that pain! So I did the only thing I could think of.

I stepped closer, wrapping my arms around his torso. I tightened my grip, suddenly afraid he'd disappear.

Reader: I'm glad you told me, Arthur. Though I'm not the Chosen, I'm a weak human...I want to protect you too.

He let go of his shirt with a hand, it coming to rest atop my own.