Francis: 07

Taking my time, I sleepily headed towards the stairs, padding down the steps in a pair of fuzzy slippers. Despite the comfort of the bed, my mind kept me from falling back asleep. Instead, all I could do was stare at the rose in thought until I forced myself up.

Ivan: This is a rare sight.

He appeared into the wide room, wearing his soft, trademark smile.

Reader: G-good morning.

Ivan: It is a treat to see you in such cute clothes, _.

Ah, that's right. I hadn't bothered changing out of my pajamas before heading downstairs.

Ivan: I suspect Yao has finished making breakfast already. Hopefully there are some leftovers for you.

Reader: I'll manage, I'm sure.

He smiled wide in response.

Ivan: That is a good attitude to have.

With a small nod he left, heading towards the opposite side of the mansion. As I walked towards the dining room, I could hear several voices right before entering.

Arthur: Ah, there's Sleeping Beauty now.

Alfred: About time you woke up. You missed breakfast.

Already they were so energetic...I did not want to have to deal with them after what I've just been through. A stoic German entered the dining room from the kitchen.

Ludwig: Luckily for you, everyone has already cleared their plates. That means less cleaning.

Reader: Ah, thank you.

He merely held my gaze for a brief moment instead of offering a response.

Ludwig: I'll be sure to check how the cleaning is progressing after you've eaten.

Arthur: Aw, don't you think you're being a little too harsh on the poor thing?

Ludwig: Everyone must pull their weight around here, it's the rules.

Alfred let out a scoff, smirking.

Alfred: I guess her dear 'soulmate' didn't get the memo...

Arthur: Tch. He's probably still in bed himself, if he hasn't left already.

Reader: Left?

Alfred: Who knows his comings and goings...he's always leaving at the most random times.

Ludwig let out a sigh of disapproval, arms crossed.

I had no idea Francis left the mansion.

He did take me to the market the other day, but I didn't think he made a habit of it. How often does he leave?

Reader: No one knows where he ends up going?

The two seated at the table broke out into dangerous smiles.

Arthur: Why, feeling jealous?

Alfred: Idiot.

Reader: I-I'm not! I'm merely curious, is all.

Ludwig: Curiosity killed the cat. Better you stay out of others' business.

Alfred put his hands behind his head, leaning back in the chair.

Alfred: It doesn't take a genius to figure out why he'd go into town.

Reader: Huh?

Sensing the turn the conversation was about to take, Ludwig headed towards the kitchen with a broom.

Reader: What's that supposed to mean?

Francis: It's nothing more than the musings of two, jealous men.

Reader: Francis!

He entered the dining room, wearing a small smile despite seeming tired.

Arthur: Don't hate us for enlightening your dear rose.

Alfred: As your soulmate, doesn't she have the right to know?

Francis: It'd be one thing if you were truly considerate for _, instead of seeing an opportunity to stir me up. I can't say you've seemed this interested in my affairs before.

The two men's expressions soured.

Alfred: We're just worried for you, Francis. In all your life, you've never once settled down with someone.

Francis' smile was long gone, setting his white shopping bag on the table.

Arthur: Hmm, I wonder if there's a greater meaning behind it.

Francis put on a venomous smile, aimed at the nosy duo.

Francis: I bet you'd be thrilled if I were, Arthur. However I must say I prefer the feminine gender.

Arthur grimaced, Alfred wearing a smug smirk.

Francis: Now if you don't mind, I'd prefer you busy yourselves with something other than my personal life.

With that he turned and left, air stirring slightly in his wake.

Alfred: You went too far, idiot.

Arthur: I highly doubt that.

Reader: What did you mean by what you said earlier, Arthur?

Arthur: Hm? Oh, it's nothing really.

Despite his easy dismissal, his words long resonated. Francis appears quite a few years older than me, but who knows how long he's been a vampire.

To think he's never once fallen in love?

I can't accept that.

Yet even as I thought those words, I was too aware of how Francis' sweet words are empty. He can whisper sweet nothings late into the night, yet I wonder whether there is an ounce of truth in them.

Alfred: Idiot.

He broke me out of my thoughts, frowning at me.

Alfred: Don't worry over pointless things. Nothing good can come of pestering him about it.

Was he...looking out for me?

Despite his words, I began thinking of asking Francis himself what they meant. He did seem bothered by them though, odd considering how they've said much harsher things in the past.

While his words seem empty, his actions earlier today sang a different tune. The beautiful rose, his arms around me as he comforted me last night...

I smiled at his flirtatious offer to comfort me further, as if a shared joke between two friends.

Even so...what Alfred and Arthur said had really gotten to me...

[Go After Him]

           [Leave Him Be]

Alfred, as mean as he can be, was right. If those two had gotten under his skin, it must be sensitive enough of a topic. I should leave it alone. After all, I have no right prying into his life. We aren't actually soulmates.

Despite my decision, I felt a pang in my heart. We were only playing house. I'd never have his true affections, though I had no idea whether I even wanted them.