Arthur: 06

Rain pattered against the windowpane, steady and rhythmic. It had been raining all day and showed no signs of letting up any time soon. I snuck a glance towards Arthur, catching him quickly averting his eyes.

Since last night we hadn't really spoken, though he's been around. He had made tea late this morning, offering me some. Now he sits in the chair across from me, silent save for the occasional turning of the pages of his novel.

In the beginning I was fine with the silence but as each hour passed it's become more strained. I opened my mouth to speak when a sudden boom of thunder made me jump, spilling a few drops of tea.

Arthur: Are...are you afraid of thunder?

I shook my head, biting my lip to keep myself from letting out any sounds.

Arthur: What a silly thing to be afraid of!

I frowned, going to retort when a much louder boom made me let out a whimper. I quickly set the teacup down on the table. I want to leave; him seeing me so vulnerable is infuriating and embarrassing.

Arthur: I love thunderstorms. The air is alive and the rain is so soothing. A perfect time to read and sip tea.

I could only partially hear the last of his sentence as another boom nearly shook the house, a bolt of lightning lighting up the room for the briefest of moments.

Arthur let out a light laugh, extending his hand towards me. I slowly removed my hands from my ears, grabbing his.

Arthur: There's no reason to be afraid, love.

Reader: I-I know. I can't help it.

He helped me to stand, taking the blanket from the couch and wrapping it around me. He spun me around so my back was flush against his chest, bringing me to sit on his lap.

I could feel his heartbeat through our clothes and skin, slightly faster than usual. Feeling my face flush I closed my eyes, focusing on the beating of his heart. He wrapped his arms around me, surprised by how quickly they comforted and soothed me. With him around me I found myself wishing the storm would never end, the scent of tea lingering and rain in the air.