Alfred: 06

My eyes fluttered open, wiping the sleep from my eyes. Immediately something felt off, turning to find myself alone in a bed, Alfred's bed. Loneliness poked at my heart, the feeling minuscule compared to the heat flushing my cheeks.

I can't believe I shared a bed with Alfred.

Part of me was glad he wasn't here-it would be much more embarrassing if I had to face him right away, not to mention having to skirt around answering questions about the nightmare.

I left the bed as I entered the hallway, preparing to head back to my own room when I stopped. 

Music? 

Who would be listening to it this early in the morning?

Without a second thought my feet headed towards the source, the light tune growing louder as I neared a door, partially open. Through the crack I could see the black shape of a piano, a blond tuft of hair peeking out from behind it, moving to the music.

I took a few steps inside, mesmerized by Alfred's hands dancing across the keys. He didn't acknowledge me yet didn't shoo me away, either. The ballad was surprisingly bright and jovial, something I did not expect from him. 

Somehow...it reminds me of the little boy from my dream. 

Warmth. Safety. A promise of wondrous future days.

Alfred did not frown or scold me as I approached, sitting next to him on the bench. He closed his eyes, letting the melody transport him somewhere far away, a place I could not touch. A place just for him.

I too closed my eyes, just listening as his fingers produced a ballad of magic. Magic that made me forget about the nightmare, magic that made me fully at peace, magic that created a world just for Alfred and I.