|| Meredith Stepien x Reader ||

You inhaled sharply as you picked up the shopping bags. You walked swiftly to the front door, where you attempted to balance the bags on one knee so that you could use your key to open the door.

Your questionable balancing skills didn't assist you, and food was sprawled across the floor in seconds. You were already having an awful day- nothing was working in your favour, so this only added to your irritability.

"Of course. Of fucking course," you cursed, clenching your fists. You quickly picked everything off the ground, placing it back in the bag.

This time, you decided to put the bags down while you unlocked the door. You eventually successfully opened the door, to be greeted by silence. It wasn't usually silent at the house.

"Hi Y/N!" You heard a loud, cheery voice. Ah, there it was.

"Hey Mere," you said grumpily.

"You okay?" She asked, helping you with the bags.

"Bad day," you replied simply.

As you walked to the kitchen, you hit your side on the counter, creating a sharp pain that shot through your body.

"And it's not getting any better," you winced, clutching your side.

"Baby, I think you need to take a break," Meredith said softly.

"I don't believe in breaks," you breathed, composing yourself and continuing to walk to the kitchen.

"But-"

"I'm fine, Mere," you looked at her. She just nodded, even though you knew she didn't believe you.

"What time is it?" You asked unpacking the groceries.

"5:20pm" Meredith replied, from the pantry.

"Shit, I gotta make dinner," you mumbled, gathering everything you needed.

"I can make dinner tonight if you want," Meredith offered.

"That's sweet of you, but I really don't trust your cooking," you smiled.

"That's rude," she crossed her arms.

"Do you trust your cooking?" You raised your eyebrows.

"Good point. Let me know if you need any help though,"

"Yeah, sure," you brushed her off, opening up the recipe.

"I'm serious, Y/N. Tell me if you need anything,"

"I will Mere. Again, I'm fine," you assured her. "Luck just isn't on my side today,"

"Okay," She bit her lip, not knowing if she should protest any further.

Dinner was made by 6pm, as the clock told. You filled two plates with the food, and set them down at the table.

"Dinner," You called to Meredith, who was sitting quietly at her laptop in the living room.

"Ooh yes, I'm starving," She grinned. You smiled at her genuine happiness for a second, before switching back off.

She sat at the table cheerfully, immediately digging in.

Before you picked up your fork, you checked your phone for a second to see if you had gotten any notifications. You had. You bit your lip as you opened your phone and read the email. It unfortunately was not good news. It only made you bite your lip even harder, to stop yourself from crying.

"You okay honey?" She asked, with a mouthful of food.

Those words only made you burst into tears. Meredith quickly swallowed her food before coming over to give you a hug. She didn't say anything. She just hugged you as you cried, your head buried into your hands.

After you had calmed down a bit, you took a deep breath.

"I lost my job today," Your voice cracked.

"What? Why?" Meredith gasped, her eyes widening.

"They said that I 'wasn't on top of my game' so they found someone better for the job," You shrugged, wiping your eyes.

"That's awful," She pouted.

"And that doesn't help the fact that I've mentally felt like shit recently," You quivered. "And now I have no way to support us, which only makes me feel more like crap," You explained, staring at the food that was gradually turning cold. But you weren't hungry.

"Hey- don't worry about supporting us for now. You being here right now is the only support I need. Plus dinner was amazing," Meredith assured you. "I've got my job, we'll be okay. I'm always here for you remember?" She grabbed your hand. You only nodded.

"Whoever told you, you weren't good enough for the job, it's their loss," She smiled. You weakly smiled back gratefully.

"I love you, you know that?" You whispered.

"I love you more," She gave you another hug. Her hugs were the best. She pulled away and kissed your forehead.

"Now eat up, your food is getting cold,"

a bit of a short one but it's okay

but like I love writing for Meredith???? she's just got the cutest personality, that's pretty easy to write for. anyway, hope you liked it!