⊰49⊱

"I still can't believe you managed to get my uncle to craft the Zircon Oculus..." Nimue's voice trails off as we sit next to one another on broken and cracked stone near the base of a cliff where an old monastery rest.

Tresor weaves magic from the air, the broken and tarnished fence stand the test of time, wearing through the elements. Vexy leans against the stone next to the gate, her extra tail now adding to the ones moving in different directions. Her demeanor is quite different though, an edge of her I can't quite place my finger on.

"It needs to be Dot's choice," I reaffirm, "all Tresor has done, is everything for himself."

Nimue glances away and states, "I agree with you on most aspects; however, I don't agree with the ultimatum you have about him."

"Is that so?" I arch a brow.

Nimue replies, "Without his help, the veil would have been torn down years ago." As she says these words, surprise is evident in my features, as she continues, "With Aeon awakening much sooner than what happened in your timeline, his power grew, taking on his vessel as his own physical form...he could easily have come through the veil," she pauses and releases a sigh, "there was only so much I could do with teaching Acacia how to repair and rebuild the veil once he'd found a sliver of a crack to work with. Nothing is impenetrable...good and evil, they always find a way in time."

"When did he first find this...crack?" I question, Vexy walking around Tresor now as there are whispers of light and energy coming from within the monastery.

Nimue tells me flatly, "It was the night of the winter solstice during Acacia's freshmen year at the high school after she turned fourteen. She's been trying to reach out to us on how to improve her magic, though we were caught up with other duties and more urgent matters from the crown, especially after she was attacked by the first incubus to come through the veil and make it back without a trace." She glances at me and quietly says, "I already knew who it was before it was confirmed years later..." as her voice trails off, I see the sadness in her eyes, though she brushes it off and breathes out, "...I taught her how to rebuild the veil, and it seemed to work for a while...until..."

Vexy quietly makes her way toward us, asking while motioning, "We're supposed to go inside now." I glance and see Tresor standing between the open doors as the gate stands far enough away.

Nimue nods and lifts from the cracked stone, and I rise as well. We follow behind Vexy and Tresor, making our way through catacombs...down...down...down...

...where are we going?

"How far does this go down?" I question, the air becoming thin as we continue to move through the darkness only cut by supernatural vision, and the small light that illuminates from Vexy's fur itself.

"We have a little way to go," Tresor replies quietly, though he presses onward, and as we continue walking, the hallway grows narrow, forming a single file line at one point.

We eventually bottom out into a chamber that is chilling to the bone. Looking around the room, I see many different depictions on the walls, and it's only when Tresor throws a small globe of purple light toward one wall, does a chain reaction set off. Torches hanging on the wall come to life, the purple hue jumping from one to the next.

Vexy decides to look at a tall bookcase, different size volumes littering the shelves with loose papers. I turn to Nimue and ask her, "What happened?"

"Acacia continued to weaken, as she knew who all her mates were by the time she was sixteen...though, she hadn't bonded with any of them," Nimue weaves a tale that nearly knocks the air out of me, "she was being manipulated by another within the sanctuary of her dreams. Placing doubts of distrust, she continued to keep her distance from her mates and in turn, the veil continued to weaken even though she was rebuilding it. Without them tied and bound together as one unit, they were not growing in strength as one."