⊰35⊱

Exhaling sharply, I snap upright...

...only for a hand to touch my chest. It's firm, though gentle, my vision running rampant around me until I rest my gaze on...Dot.

A soft smile graces her lips and she tells me, "Don't overdo it, though I can see you're completely healed."

What...happened...

When I look around again, I notice that we aren't inside the intake building. The room is unfamiliar, the darkness around the two of us is eerily haunting. Dot's touch leaves my chest and my gaze slowly lands back on her. Furrowing my brows, I ask, "Where's Vexy? Kat? What happened? Wh-"

"Relax," she tells me and shakes her head, "Vexy and Kat are just fine." I remember Dot and Wyn tearing through anything in their path to get to me. I remember—

My hand immediately clasps the back of my neck, though I don't feel any pain.

"I've removed the curse," Dot informs me softly when an obvious look of confusion crosses my features.

"Curse?" I question, confused by what Vexy had done.

Dot nods, leaning back and crossing her arms beneath her breasts, "It's unfortunate to say, that you believed you could treat her as an equal...or better yet, order her around."

"What?" I'm at a loss for words with such confusion.

Dot nods once again and explains, "Vexy doesn't see you on the same level that she is, and when you apparently treated her with disrespect," she pauses a moment as I part my lips to defend myself, holding up her hand and continuing, "yes, I think it's absurd what she told me you'd done that called for such an attack...anyway, I know she was a valuable ally for my mother, so I don't want to burn any bridges."

"She cursed me because I told her to knock it off?" I repeat everything out and shake my head, "I'll never understand what triggers everyone."

"To her, you crossed a line," Dot shrugs her shoulders and sighs, "though, to be fair, she never laid out any ground rules and for that..." as her voice trails off, the door to the room of darkness that we are within, opens, and a very annoyed looking kitsune moves past the threshold and into our space. Dot motions to Vexy and tells me, "She owes you an apology, far more than you ever would owe her one."

Vexy rolls her eyes and seethes, "He should have known."

"Don't assume others can read minds or understand where you believe yourself on the world's hierarchy," Dot offers her this guidance. Releasing a sigh, Vexy walks toward the two of us, Dot reminding her, "The only effective means of communication, is directly telling said individual what you expect from them and what they should expect from you."

Vexy's smile is forced as she stands next to the bed, right beside Dot. She tilts her head to the side and tells me, "I'm sorry."

"You're lucky I didn't bring this to you father's attention," Dot's words cause Vexy's features to stiffen, her jaw clenching as Dot continues, "as I believe you wouldn't have invited my mate to be along with him without good reason, especially away from prying eyes and ears. You need something from him, or us, and I'm betting that you don't want this to come anywhere near your father."

Vexy giggles and tilts her head to the other side, eyeing Dot as she admires, "Clever goddess, and that is why I follow-"

"Why'd you throw a tantrum like a five-year-old that was called a name?" I ask, curious to understand the deeper meaning if there is one anyway. After all, her apology isn't that sincere, and I'm not sure whether I can trust Vexy again.