⊰2⊱

🌕 🌖 🌗 🌘 🌑 🌒 🌓 🌔 🌕

Shrugging my shoulders, I reply, "Okay, what are we doing then?"

Princess Edith's features shift, and she looks at me with confusion. She tilts her head to the side and looks around, replies, "I...uh...umm..." she scratches the back of her head. When I suddenly lower myself to the grass, sitting down, and leaning back on my hands, she frantically asks, "Wait, what are you doing?"

"Oh, you tell me when you've figured out what we're doing," I don't even make eye contact with her, closing my eyelids and releasing a sigh. A light breeze lifts and a scent carries on it.

Princess Edith stammers, "Bu-Bu-t, I-I-"

My eyelids snap open and I'm on my feet and scooping Princess Edith into my arms. She yelps, but my voice is calm near her ear, "Stay quiet." When I look down at her briefly, there's no push back from her and she immediately nods her head, pressing herself closer to my chest while I run into the forest.

I don't recognize that scent, skating down through the trees and weaving away, heading downwind and further away. When we're far enough, I come to a halt and set her down gently, watching as she takes a few steps away and asks, "What happened?"

"I didn't recognize that scent," I nod in the direction we'd come from.

"What scent?" Princess Edith pokes her nose and sniffs.

The corners of my lips turn upward for a second, reply, "Well, you're still a pup and connection to your wolf is not established...so, you couldn't have known."

An owl hoots and she yelps, jumping forward and wrapping her arms around my waist. Her actions startle me, my first instinct...to push her away, but when she says, "I hate the forest!" I restrain myself. She shivers from fear, holding onto me as if she'll break if I pull away.

Furrowing my brows, I ask, "How can a wolf hate the forest?"

"Dot spent more time with Grandpa Keir then I did...away from Castle Starr," Princess Edith's voice holds a water edge to it, "the few times I was there...it just scares me! Okay?!"

"You have a wolf for a father..." I shake my head, blinking my eyelids rapidly as I can't believe what I'm hearing. She should have been taken out more to embrace all her heritage, regardless of the rest of his mates, this should have been insisted upon. I rest a hand on the top of her head and reassure her, "I won't let anything happen to you."

Princess Edith sniffles and slowly looks up at me, "Promise?"

"Of course," I reply, and she slowly relaxes over a few minutes. When she's calm, I explain to her, "Now, I need you to listen to me. I'm not your Alpha and yes, you are a princess, but I am an Alpha...one that has taken responsibility to protect and watch out for you. I need you to meet me half-way though because if you don't listen, there might very well be nothing I can do within the power I have to protect you," I pause and hold her gaze, "do you understand?"

Princess Edith nods and replies, "I hear you."

"Alright. We are also considered rogues in this timeline...so we need to be extra cautious..." I slowly move, taking hold of her hand while I walk with her through the trees. It's been dark for a while, the crickets causing Princess Edith to jump when they startle her. An unkindness of ravens flies from one group of branches and leaves to another, Princess Edith squeezing my hand. I haven't picked up any scents recently, the marks of the trees are scarce, leading me to believe this is more than likely unclaimed territory, or territories are outlined much differently in the past than compared to the future.