⊰18⊱

🌕 🌖 🌗 🌘 🌑 🌒 🌓 🌔 🌕

"Your bed is so squishy!" Princess Edith giggles as she bounces up and down on it, the pajamas that Jelena lent her fit quite well. As I come out of the bathroom with a long-sleeved shirt and sweats, she tilts her head to the side and asks, "Are you cold?"

I'm not a fan of the cold, and the surprise winter here is startling.

I reply, crossing the distance to the bed and sitting on the edge, "Yes."

"Wyn can cuddle and warm you up," she smiles and the air catches in my lungs briefly. She bounces closer and finally jumps at me.

A smirk crosses my lips as her eyes suddenly widen, tickling her on my lap. Princess Edith nearly screams in laughter, trying to squirm away from me as she can't stop laughing. My laughter mixes with her own, watching as I slowly loosen my grip and she wriggles beneath my arms and to the floor. She's still laughing as she staggers to her feet, pointing at me and giggling.

She smiles and says, "Thank you."

"For what?" I tilt my head to the side.

"For everything," she rushes forward and launches herself at me, only this time, she wraps her small arms around my neck and squeezes me hard.

A soft smile settles on my lips as I wrap my arms around her back gently, holding her close while she rests her head on my shoulder. She's a good pup...she just needs love, the bonds she has with her family...nonexistence.

I give her a quick squeeze and we pull away slowly. She lifts and walks along the bed until she plops down near the pillow and punches it. A chuckle leaves my lips as she fluffs the pillow and snuggles down beneath the covers. As Princess Edith settles in, I pull back the covers on my side of the bed, slipping and turning away from her.

That's my mistake.

"Cuddle!" Princess Edith pouts and immediately becomes a worm up against my back. Her small arms hold onto me, burying her face into my spine as I chuckle.

"Alright," I turn over as she pulls away a bit, facing her and watching her eyes search mine. She smiles and makes herself at home against my chest, my arm wrapping over her and protecting her from what the night brings. Her breathing is soft, her body rises slightly and falling with each breath she takes. Though her eyelids slowly shut, I hum gently, the lullaby she enjoys so much...

...the little things.

I can hear her murmur beneath her tired breath, "Love you."

I kiss the top of her head and whisper, "I love you too, little pup."

It's only an hour at most that we are asleep before her heart rate picks up and I know she's awake. She whispers softly to me, "Merle?"

"Mhm?" I mumble, trying to pry my eyelids open as I was just starting to enjoy a dream...its fabrication shifting greatly before I awoke to her.

"I can't sleep..." she replies, and I lift my gaze to see what the time is. Though she wanted to sleep early, it's only eight...I'm surprised she wanted to go to bed as early as she did.

A thought strikes me, and I slowly sit up in the bed, eyeing her with a mischievous grin on my face.

Princess Edith gives me a weird look as she asks, "What?"

"Do you want to go on an adventure?" I ask her, slowly pulling the covers back and heading toward the chair where I'd left my clothes.

This grabs her attention instantly, sitting up and quickly racing to get dressed. She exclaims, "What?! Where?!"