⊰36⊱

I never could have imagined or predicted the reaction that Kat gave Dot.

I stand by, waiting near one of the walls in the intake building while Actaeon and Brielle are discussing something with one of the sirens. She looks familiar...

"Aspen, you know very well how I feel about your position on the council jeopardizing the lives of those within Antarith," Actaeon narrows his eyes when something is said wrong between the two. Brielle shifts her gaze from the book, her eyes resting on me.

Aspen.

She's the siren on the council, representing the merfolk beneath and above the sea. She doesn't just represent them though, she's their queen.

"I've told you multiple times, that my allegiance is to my people, most of which still remain hidden even in this world of new laws and order," Aspen releases a sigh, her tone full or immediate resentment. Brielle's gaze leaves me, landing on the book as she writes something down. While Actaeon continues to look Aspen over, she states, "The only reason I took that position, was to have a voice for my people. That is it. I know how they treat those they do not trust, regardless of species. Countless numbers of my people, those with little power to control any elements...those werewolves, in particular, they've taken the pendants that allow us to walk on land, capturing my people and using their different properties for their own selfish desires."

Werewolves would never do something like that...

...they've known what it feels like to be persecuted by other species. If anything, it's only interspecies wars that arise, if we are going on severity.

Actaeon rubs his forehead, his tails showing clear agitation, "As much as I dislike the wolves, they aren't the ones to blame."

"Then who is?" Aspen emphasizes, taking a step forward as if Actaeon knows more than she.

"I don't know," Actaeon's eyes light with fire and Aspen takes a step back, "however, I suggest that you don't assume it's one party or another. Besides, we've got one zealot against the Hybrid Queen running around Antarith and growing her cult of vampires and hybrids alike, who for some reason or another, want the Code of Conduct brought back. We don't need another."

Aspen's muscles tense with anger, though she collects herself and states, "Very well. Thank you for your help, as always." As she turns around, her gaze traces and lands on me, her eyes lit with anger as she states, "You!"

"Aspen," Actaeon warns, "discretion is key with our arrangement, or would you like me to bar you from ever seeking assistance that this city provides that others cannot?"

"I didn't know you harbored the safety of criminals that are a direct threat to the crown," Aspen's hands draw into fists, and I find great enjoyment that she can't do anything to touch me here. She breathes out as calmly as she can, "You are aware that this is the true born that released the most dangerous threat to our world and the crown?"

Actaeon nonchalantly states, "Of course, I do. As you are aware, not everything is always as it seems, and the influence of others impact us greatly."

"Dot is here, isn't she?" Aspen draws the conclusion herself.

"Discretion," Actaeon repeats himself.

Aspen says nothing, nodding her head. I can't believe it; she won't say anything about our whereabouts without inflicting the wrath of Actaeon. No one wants that, so I can for sure say that what happens, what she's seen, stays in Antarith. She walks toward the exit, passing me, though halting just a moment to warn me, "Should you leave this city and I find out your whereabouts, I will inform the Hybrid Queen. You cannot escape justice and the law...she will send the Vindicator Wardens Pack after you, and you will be left to the mercy of Alpha Lailoken Mercer."