Chapter 22

It feels like im floating.

Not flying, there's no wind. Everything is,... still

Just,... floating.

I open my eyes. I'm surrounded by blinding white light, but it doesn't burn my eyes. I look around. There is nothing besides white fluffy cloud-like things. They were holding me, so not clouds. Is this heaven? At least no one else is here.

Something feels different about me. I run my hands through my hair on both sides. On one there is the hair I just buzzed, still freshly cut. Then parted heavily over to the right, my silky, plummy-purple hair. That's the same.

My skin is still the pale cream it was. With freckles spotted here and there. Scars covered my arms. Just thinking about that made me shiver and I brought my arms against my chest and rubbed them. My body still super curly. I was wearing a billowy off the shoulder dress that went to my mid thighs. Maybe that's it?

I start to walk, but I still don't feel right. I feel lighter than usual. My back is straighter, and my spin is more aligned than ever. I reach back and touch my shoulder. There was a mark or something that I could feel. It was rough and wrinkled. I look down at my arms again. I can feel the sting of my eyes and the quivering of my lips. I fall to my knees. It all just hits me, the physical pain, the mental pain. There is no small buzzing in my bones that signified I was special in some way.

The pink wrinkled tissue that hoards the skin on my arms. Big, little, thin, thick lines run down my wrists. Its pinkish color disregards the dark meaning behind them. And the actual thing behind them. The dark red liquid that swirls around in my body. Taunting me with every pulse.

'Nobody loves you'

'You deserve to die'

'You don't deserve your powers'

'Your mates hate you'

The rough wrinkled slashes on my back were scars. Scars. In place of my wings.

--------------------

"What happened?" Vivian demanded. Her shaking hands still held onto Makaylas pale one. She looked around with her red puffy eyes. No one talked for a while. Everyone was still crying. Most of the packs medical staff left. With only a few higher level doctors staying behind for extra help if anyone needed it. Including the doctor that had helped Chance with his pregnancy and delivery.

Vivian had waited so long for Makayla to emerge from the ice. She had always been so strong. So Vivian couldn't even fathom the idea of Makayla dying from this. Not to mention her species are supposedly immortal. But, none of that matters now.

Vivian waited for an answer. Her eyes focusing on Makaylas lifeless body but her ears were tuned into her surroundings. She could feel Kylee's presence behind her but it didn't calm her. She felt sadness, rage and desperation.

"Answer me! NOW!" She screams and everyone flinches. "Why is she fucking dead!?" her face is full of rage when she looks up. Everyone stares back at her as she places Makaylas hand on her stomach. She stood up causing everybody to stumble backwards. She looked at everyone expectantly. No one would talk. Until, Sheamus stepped up with Charlies help and started talking.

"Makayla has been lying to everyone about everything."

—————————————————

"This,... this can't be happening! What happened to my wings." Makayla cries out, her eyes full of tears. Her whole body shook as her cries became louder and louder. She fell to the floor. Her breathing became quick and ragged. She had always depended on her wings. To fly and feel like a part of the sky. To feel like there was something special about her. But there's really nothing special. At least that's what she thinks.