79

Victoria

    Sitting at my wooden desk, I collect the few files that I had begun on rummaging through earlier, and run a hand through my long dark brown hair - feeling it's waved ends rest against the middle of my back shortly after.

Fortunately, my office desk is well organized, as usual, and the task of jotting down information on each patient that entered the OR today was much more manageable than expected.

Today was a great day. A fast day. Time had gotten the best of me - and with a thirteen hour shift now slipping from my hands, it's time to call it a day.

So I stack up the completed files by the corner of my desk, and grab my jacket and purse to head for the door. Stepping out into the familiar sounds of rushing nurses, incessant phone rings coming from the Help Desk around the corner, and few doctor's here and there communicating with patients on each end of the busy corridor - I continue in my steps.

"Ah, calling it a day I see..." Tony, the ER's registered nurse below my position, releases a sigh as he walks over towards me. In turn, I send him a shrug.

"I got a taste of just about everything today..." I start, finishing in my steps as Tony trails next to me, "...from starting my shift in the hectic ER to helping a 5 year old find their mom from the entire second floor to the third, and later assisting every single person I could in the OR this evening... yeah, I'd say it's time to call it a day." A soft breath escapes my lips.

Just as Tony is going to open his mouth for obvious questioning on the kid's parent, I presume, I spot Jessica nearing to walk by. I quickly send one of my dearest friends a smile while she moves fast in her wine colored scrubs - and she delivers a toothy one in return.

"I'm gonna need those files from you tomorrow morning, boss. One of the medical files you might've recorded down has a patient with a pancreatic tumor, we just found it on him." She informs me. I strictly incline my head afterwards; and while signaling I'll fetch them for her tomorrow, Jess raises her brows as if something just dawned on her.

"Lunch tomorrow? We can pick ourselves up some Central Perk Coffee?" She suggests, and I immediately feel a grin forming on my face.

"How could I ever so resist?" I respond with a singsong voice, intrigued.

Yeah, we might've started binging on Friends over the past few weeks. And the coffee she's referring to unfortunately doesn't take place at the one and only fictional Central Perk - it merely started when I took a sip of the most mesmerizing coffee I bought one day.

I joked around with her by stating that coffee brand must have been what Monica, Ross and the rest of the characters were always ordering at their hangout spot. We've been calling it Central Perk Coffee ever since.

Soon passing by and getting caught up in another conversation with another employee of mine, Jess quickly vanishes from view. I revert my attention onto Tony again, and his grey brow is perched up a bit.

"Did the kid ever find his mom?" He asks; a pinch of concern lingering behind his deep voice as he still walks beside me.

I purse my lips a moment, before taking in a breath - acknowledging I was right on my presumption. "He did. She somehow found her way to the waiting room while loopy on antibiotics." I explain to him, casually.

Tony's brows escalate a second, as if processing my words. Then he sends me a questionable glance. Though in the nicest way, I push it aside.