67

Victoria

Cutting into my steak, I overhear Angela and her mom talking about some episode of The Walking Dead that premiered last year - about how some intimidatingly attractive man went all ludicrous with a bat?

I wouldn't know, last thing I saw of it was the never-spoken tragedy of Beth's death. So I don't even wanna know how far behind I am. Anyway, I'm not listening in, and instead have chosen to think back and replay Attwood's words at the table.

You two have something that's gonna last forever, he said. And Rio's response in return only made my heart flutter - for my cheeks to heat up profusely.

Oh it will, he said, with certainty. And all along since, I've been forcing back the genuine smile so I wouldn't look so insane. I'm already the color of a tomato, that should be enough.

Carrying the piece of juicy steak to my mouth by my fork, I take a bite. Chewing onto the mouthwatering meat, I instantly mentally admire the hands of whomever grilled it.

"Mm, who made this?" I gesture towards the rest of the steak on my glass plate.

"Micheal." Amanda answers in pride, after swallowing down the food herself. I glance to her side only to see Pops shrug. "I've mastered grilling for over twenty years now." He sends me a wink, taking a sip of his red wine. "Aside from keeping this woman right here happy, it's what I'm best at."

I smile, grasping onto my wine glass as well. "Well good! Perhaps you wouldn't mind handling the grilling for our wedding." I smirk - my light brown eyes soon widening in quick realization shortly after.

I suck in a sharp gasp, when the dining room falls silent.

My wide eyes quickly find Rio's. He's pursing his full lips as if he's forcing back any sign of amusement - as if he isn't too surprised that thee surprise has slipped from my lips. His glistening brown eyes slowly travel to mine, and he clears his throat.

"Yeah we-"

"I-" The two of us break the deafening silence in the room simultaneously, so I pause.

"Wedding?" Amanda questions, escalating her perfectly arched brows. And for a second I think I spot her red lips twitch. From the side of my eye I can see Angela covering her mouth to hide her noticeably entertained smile.

Guilt coils inside me from the sudden slip.

"Um," I run a hand gently through my brown waves, curling my lip.
"Nah it's alright." My fiancé's soothing voice sounds lowly from beside me, and I glance over to see him straightening in his seat only to fold his hands across the table's surface.

He's preparing to tell them about the engagement.

Briefly swallowing, I decide to reach out and place my left hand over his own two hands; my diamond engagement revealing with it's familiar sparkle under the dining room's chandelier.

We both look at each other momentarily, before facing his family. "We're engaged." We announce.

My awaiting gaze skips over to Chris a moment. He forms a small smile, as he sends me a sharp nod - in reassurance I presume. I return the understanding nod after, and revert my attention onto his parents again.

I hear Rio's low chuckle by my side. "We were gonna wait to tell you but um..." he pauses, trailing his gaze over to me. A grin plasters. "It's alright, darlin'." He whispers.