65

Victoria

Standing before the full length mirror, I observe myself in a spaghetti strapped red silk top that I own, and lengthy black trousers above the matching red heels I stand in.

Ever since Ann came over and I told her that I'm meeting Rio's family today, she's been feeding me her fashion advice on what I should wear. So she's been tossing me my most formal outfits, and I've been checking myself out in each - though this current one I'm starting to think is an automatic yes.

"So, with those spaghetti straps pinning your hair up is a definite must." My sister sighs, throwing herself onto the king size bed of my bedroom.

I inhale, staring into the mirror. "I know." Taking my loose brown waves into my hands, I pull the strands back into a neat hold, averting my gaze onto my sister behind me in the clear reflection shortly after.

"How about this?" I ask her, perching up an imperceptive brow. "No. A low bun will be better, definitely." I blurt, lowering my tight grip on the chestnut brown strands.

Pinning it up into my ideal keen bun, Ann's piping voice lulls my sudden attention. "Are you trying to make the impression that you're too good for who you're marrying? They'll think you're trying too hard." She says.

Through the mirror, I watch my sister hop off the bed, soon making her way towards me. "Here," she exhales, stopping behind me, "change of plans. Let your hair down."

I do, letting the waves fall carelessly onto my merely visible collarbones. The brown waves glint dark golden streaks under the bedroom light. And scanning over my light brown eyes that stand out from the unusual mascara on me, I feel my lips twitch.

With my hair out and loose, I feel... more like myself. And it hits me that that's how it should be. Today I'm meeting Rio's, and Chris's, parents. This is a big day for me, and Rio. His family will be meeting me as I am, not someone that I think they'll approve of.

I let out an airy breath, turning to face my sister. "I guess I'm just nervous, is all." I nod, swallowing down the puny lump in my throat. "I am. But once we hit the road I'll be fine."

A grateful smile starts to form as I fixate on my sister's hazel green specks. "Thank you for coming over. I gotta say, I had fun playing dress-up." I smirk, before pulling her into a hug.

"Anytime, sis. And for the record I had fun too." She says, squeezing me tight.

Once we release each other, Ann playfully slaps my arm before I go to grab my purse. "Now go meet the folks that raised le infamous gang banger." She says in a sing-song voice, plastering a wide smile.

I can't tame my laugh in amusement, as I shake my head and give my sister another warm squeeze before meeting with my fiancé.

--

A few minutes into Port Huron, I can clarify that I am now less nervous to meet Rio's family, and if anything, Rio's radiating excitement is rubbing onto me.

His hand is warm and intertwined with mine as I sit by his side in the passenger seat, whilst he focuses on the highway ahead.

Amongst the traffic coming in, I glance over to my fiancé, gazing at the side of Rio's handsome face that is, until he peels his chocolate brown eyes over to my own. But I don't look away, instead I admire the twinkle dancing across his blazing irises.

I smile when he does. "How long until we get there?" I ask.

"We should be pulling up in just about a few more minutes." Rio informs me, peering his searching eyes onto the GPS before him. "You excited?" He asks, fixing on my eyes again.