43

Rio

There are countless scenarios flooding my mind - none of which are good. These thoughts that dominate every inch of my now irritated state, retain the slightest pinch of optimism.

Ann's careful tone keeps playing at the back of my mind. I can't rid it.

She wouldn't just leave... She said, when I immediately picked up on the wariness lurking behind her usual piping voice.
Something happened to her...

My knuckles turn white on the steering wheel in front of me, on the way back home.

As soon as I ended the call with Blondie, almost half an hour ago, I rushed inside the grocery store - maybe for reassurance, if I saw Victoria observant in one of the isles for her particular sugar.

That's all she wanted. It's all she came for. Sugar. But she vanished, or was taken... all I know is that I've gotta find her.

I have to find her before I loose it.

Agitated still, and focusing on the curve ahead of me, I pull off my dark beanie to throw it onto the passenger seat when I absentmindedly huff out a breath. Anger is starting to creep up my skin. It's lethal.

But I can't help but think of the moment I walked inside that Super Market, and paced around every isle in search for her. No sign.

I couldn't find her.

My foot quickly presses on the gas pedal mercilessly, as my BMW speeds ahead.

I gotta get back home, I have to... think - of what to do, of where to search. And I shouldn't be on the road right now. It's dangerous... with this inevitable anger that I can't shake.

I feel my foot rest further down, on the welcoming pedal below the steering wheel.

Finally, I reach the corner of my street. I drift off the vacant roadway, and hurriedly drive down the street of the house.
Once I pull into the driveway and park the car, I slide out to slam the door shut behind me, and I make my way toward the front porch steps.

Teeth tugging at my bottom lip, my tan hands are slightly quivering when I attempt to unlock the front door. And when I do, I push it open - my first view being the familiar blonde seated on the black couch in the living room, her legs propped up on the coffee table when she meets my irritated gaze.

I don't stare at her solemnly for long, before I kick the front door aggressively shut behind me, and head toward the kitchen.

"Rio..." I hear Victoria's sister begin behind me, within a concerned tone, but I keep walking. "Rio I know you're ticked, I am too, but we're going to find her-"

"Nah, you don't get it. I'm far more than 'ticked'," I start abruptly, never glancing back to face her as I approach the archway. "I've about passed the borderline of a dangerous side of me, Blondie-"

I instantly stop in my tracks - Ann's shorter body slamming into the back of me when my brown eyes settle on her daughter in the kitchen. Abby, I believe her name was. I feel my flashing brown irises widen, at the unexpected sight.

The little girl is staring over at me with wide eyes, her innocent light irises sending me a shocked stare, as she seemed to have stopped in the middle of coloring on the papers sprawled before her on the island.

My shoulders slightly tense - wonder striking me as to if I slipped out anything a child isn't suppose to hear. But by the sight of her mouth tugging upward immensely, I think it's safe to let that worry pass.

"I was gonna tell you..." I hear Blondie exhale behind me, before she walks up to my side. "I didn't have anyone to watch Abby, so I had to bring her over. And I couldn't just leave ya in your current state of mind..."
I peer over, clenching my jaw in her direction, but I'm sure to plaster a small smile - for the young child in the room with us.

I sound an Mhm, before Abby's high pitched voice distracts me suddenly.

"RIO!" She beams, showcasing a toothy smile when I glance at her. My dark brown eyes widen when I see her jump out of her seat - and she begins running up to me.

Ann's daughter crashes into me hard, when her puny arms wrap around either unmoving side of me. My lips curve, when my shoulders relax, and I hug her back.

Clearly, the young girl remembers the night their lives were at stake, and I was there to end that threat.

"Hey!" I start rather... easily. The little girl's arms release me, when Ann pats her back, and signals for her daughter to excuse us.

I didn't realize my lips were tugged upward, when my tongue connects with my curved lips. Ann and I are left in the kitchen. I lock onto Blondie's hazel eyes, a moment, when we share a look. I make my way over to a barstool, before claiming it.

Ann takes in a breath, when walking towards the island. She plants her feet across from me, but remains standing upright - the hazel specks around her dark pupils glimmering with wary.

"Look, just because Vic wasn't there doesn't mean we won't find her." Ann starts, tone quiet and stern. My jaw immediately locks again.

I bring a hand up to run it down my face roughly, whilst releasing an exasperated breath. Then I bite down on my lip, drifting in ponder. The kitchen soon falls silent.

"Who do you think took her?" I start lowly, and at this point I'm uncertain if I'm asking myself.

Ann watches me with a pained expression. "I don't know." She says, softly. "Is there any person that... that opposed you guys or...?" She tries questioning, right before she lifts a hopeful finger. "Oh! Don't you and you're people receive like, a lot of disagreeing..." She soon trails off, ending with a miserable groan.

My brown eyes flick up to see her running her hands through her blonde hair in a stressful manner. "I don't know! I know I'm not helping..." Blondie murmurs.

My lips purse, seconds before my tongue meets them again. We fall silent once again - and it's quite unnerving.

Absentmindedly scanning across the reflecting granite countertop, I think long and hard, after processing Blondie's words.

My thick brows later furrow. "Nah..." I drag, my lips soon twitching in return. "I think you did." I tell her, flicking my resolved gaze up to her again.

In return, Ann's arched eyebrows seem to raise, in curiosity.

---

Thank you for reading! I know most of you really hoped for this chapter to be Rio actually figuring out what exactly happened to Vic, but that will be soon! Plus I choose not to really rush much so... :D

I hope you enjoyed!! ANNND if you lovelies wouldn't mind following OoohKini I would very much appreciate it, just because this kind soul really made my entire day! They deserve a shoutout.

Love you guys!

Vote, comment, share.

xx