Chapter 32.

April 8, 1967

I held Julian in my arms and snuck him a small piece of cake. He smiled and pecked my lips, covering them in icing. I giggled and tapped the tip of his nose.

"Silly boy."

We were having a little party for Julian at mine and John's. Cynthia showed up much to my dismay. So did Maureen. I spent most of my time with the Birthday boy and Paul. He seemed a little uncomfortable with the tension that was in the air.

It was only five in the evening when George arrived with...Pattie.

"Fuckin hell. Can this party get anymore awkward?" Paul said lighting a cigarette. I laughed and followed him out to sit on the side of the pool.

"Jane can show up." I smiled.

"Ha Ha Daniels." He made a face. "Uh no but um...were done. For good."

I looked at him. "Yeah? What happened? She walk in on you and Michelle fucking?"

He stayed quiet and looked away.

"Oh Paul." I said shaking my head.

"Oh like you're any better? What about you and George? Like I haven't noticed how awkward it's been between you two. The looks?? The..."

I pressed my finger over his lips. "Paul it's...It's not what it looks like. Look I know you've noticed some weird glances and some distance between me and George. But were not the ones having an affair." I looked down and slipped my sandals off, sticking my feet into the water.

"Then...who??"

I bit my lip and looked over at Julian. "Go with daddy okay? I need to talk to uncle Paul alone."

"Okie!" He smiled and and ran over to John.

I turned to Paul. "I haven't told anyone. Well, only one person knows." I sighed as he watched me. "George and Maureen are having an affair. Richard doesn't know. I saw them all over each other the day George came out of his coma."

Paul just stared at me wide eyed. His mouth a bit open. "W..who else knows?"

"I told Brian a few weeks ago."

He nodded and looked back at everyone. I followed his gaze and saw George and Maureen talking. Their hands linking when nobody was around. Richard talking to John, carrying Julian on his shoulders.

"This is just great." Paul said sarcastically. I nodded.

"I know. I really think we should tell Richard. I mean he believes his marriage is perfectly healthy and he's oblivious to what's really going on. He's..."

"Happy." Paul finished. I looked at him.

"Yeah. But it's only one sided Paul. He's going to be torn when he finds out George is sleeping with his wife! His best friend for christs sake!"

"I know Lucy but...it's not really fair we tell him. He should hear it from Mo or Geo."

"Were his friends Paul. If Michelle was sleeping around with George, wouldn't you want John, Richard, or me to tell you? Because who knows how long it'll take for them to say something. For them to stop fucking each other..."

"Lucy." paul said.

"What?? It's what theyre doing! I just...I know I shouldnt even be one to talk. I mean I slept with George. I slept with you when I was trying to make things right with John. But Richard...he never did anything bad. He doesn't deserve this." I took a breath and layed back. Paul looked down at me.

"I understand what you mean Luce. I agree with you. But, It really isn't any of our buinsess."

I shut my eyes. "I just don't think it's right."

I looked at Paul and noticed a certain look in his eyes that was all too familiar to me. A look that I haven't seen in a long time. I sat up and grabbed his arm.

"Paul? What aren't you telling me?"

He shook his head and stood up. "We should get back to the party Luce."

I stood up, following after him without even putting my sandals back on.

"Paul tell me." I said grabbing him by the hand. He stopped and turned to me.

"I..I can't. I don't want to see you hurt again."

I felt a small pain in my stomach as he pulled away from my grasp and walked back into the house.

..

Later that evening, I stood on a chair, pulling down the few streamers and decorations that were pinned up. John left out with the rest of the guys to the studio. Atleast I hope. Julian was watching tv and playing with a few of his new toys.

I thought about Paul's words earlier. The look on his face. Guilt. Guilt from hiding something. He always had that look when he was hiding something for John. Was John...cheating on me? It can't be. I mean I'm always with John.....except for when I'm at work, taking care or Julian, or when he's at the studio with the others.

It wouldn't be impossible either. Maybe John knew about George already? Maybe they all did. They've all lied to me before. How could I be so stupid? I've been so preoccupied with other things lately. Pregnancy, work...I've completely let my guard down.

I don't want to believe John's going off behind my back. If he is...then with who? Someone I know? Michelle? Pattie? Maureen? No. John is many things. But he'd never sleep with one of his friend's girls.

Cynthia? She's come around a lot. But John admitted that part of his life was over. But it's never stopped him before.

I was too busy with my thoughts, not even paying attention to my footing. I let out a small scream as I fell over. Falling hard on my stomach.

.....