Chapter 25.

I followed John as he talked to the woman in the front counter and got directions to the room and floor Julian was in. We stood in the elevator for awhile, my stomach turning from nervousness. John grabbed my hand and squeezed it tight.

When we got out, we walked fast through the halls, past the waiting room. I stopped in my tracks and pulled John over when I saw Paul and George sitting in the small waiting room.

"John look. Ask them which room."

"I'm askin what the fuckin hell happened." John said barging into the room. Richard walked in behind with a cup of coffee in his hands, maureen by his side.

"Paul what happened?" I asked sitting next to him. He sighed and looked up at John who was waiting for an answer.

"He had an accident."

"What the hell does that mean!?" John said angrily.

Paul rested his head in his hands. "I told him not to mess around in the kitchen and...the kettle was on and he climbed onto a chair to take it off the stove and it fell.."

"Oh god." I sighed.

"What the hell Paul! Ye should 'ave been watching him!? He should have been in bed!" John yelled. I noticed a few nurses and doctors look over at us.

"John keep your voice down." I said grabbing his arm. He broke away from my grasp and shook his head.

"That's my son Lucy. Not Paul's, not George's, and absolutely not yours!" He shouted the last part in my face and left the room to talk to the doctor. I stood in silence and looked down at my feet.

"Lucy. John's just upset." George said breaking the silence. I just nodded and walked out of the room, past John, to the elevator. I bit my lip and held back the tears in my eyes.

It was silent as the elevator doors opened. I sighed and watched as John went back into the waiting room. I made my way to the front desk and took a deep breath.

"Can I um, use the phone please?" I asked the lady behind the counter. She nodded and nudged it towards me. I grabbed it and hesitated before I dialed.

It rang for a few seconds then she answered.

"Hello?"

I thought about hanging up and just going back in the waiting room. John was right though. Julian isn't my son. I'm not his mother. But Cynthia is and she has a right to be here.

"Hello??" She asked again.

"Um, yeah um Cyn?"

"Who's this?"

"It's Lucy. Look don't hang up. It's important. Julian is in the hospital."

"Why!? What happened!? Which hospital!?"

I told her what happened and the location. She told me she'll be over right away. I waited in the downstairs lobby until she came in. She saw me and asked which floor.

"The fifth. Cyn?"

"Yeah?" She asked making her way to the elevator.

"Tell Julian I hope he gets better. And that um, I love him." I sniffled. She nodded.

"You're not coming?" She asked. I shook my head.

"No. His parents should be up there with him." I said looking down. I turned on my heel and left the building. I breathed in the cool night air and got in the car, making my way home.

..

Four Hours Later

I sat on the grass outside by the pool, just listening to the silence. I wiped my tears when I finally heard someone talking. I looked over my shoulder to see John get out of a red vehicle, Paul's. They talked for awhile and finally said their goodbyes. I looked down and made my way inside.