Chapter 8.

I was walking back to my office the next morning, coffee in hand when I stopped in my tracks. I smiled to myself seeing Andrew with his little girl, kneeling on the ground as she smiled at him. A pain in my chest as Janice came out of his office and kneeled down as well, giving him a small kiss.

I couldn't help wondering what things would be like if only I didn't lose the baby. How me and John would be. If I'd have a happy family as well. That's all I really wanted. A family of my own.

Janice must have noticed me watching. She stood up and picked up the baby in her arms, walking towards me. Andrew watching from a distance.

"Lucy."

"Janice." I nodded. She sighed and looked at me.

"I um, heard you couldn't have kids. I'm really sorry. Look, I know we don't get along but...I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I know you lost your family at a young age and well, I think family is something we all take for granted."

I held back the tears and swallowed the lump in my throat. "Thank you. Two now yeah?"

She smiled and nodded. "Yeah."

I smiled a little, looking at the little girl. She waved at me and reached out to touch my hand. I let her.

"What's her name?" I asked.

"Lucy. Andrew um, wanted to name her after you."

I glanced over at Andrew as he talked to one of the other journalists. I knew why he named her after me.

"You're not mad about it?" I asked. She shook her head.

"I was at first. But then, he told me about your um..you know."

I nodded and looked down. "I know. Look um, I'm really happy for you and Andrew. You both seem happy together."

"Do we? I guess were that good at pretending." She laughed nervously. I looked at her a bit surprised.

"You two aren't?"

"Everything isn't what they seem sometimes you know."

We looked back as Andrew yelled at the guy he was talking to, pointing at the door.

"Well if you don't like it here then get the fuck out! And don't bother coming back!" He yelled as the guy stood up and flung his papers at him, leaving the building. Andrew shook his head and kicked a trash bin, sending trash all over the ground. I bit my lip.

"I better go. He'll just upset the baby with this kind of temper right now."

I nodded. "You working anytime soon?"

"No. I um, I quit. Figured it'd be best to stay at home, raise the baby. Andrew promised he'd take care of me. But um, now that the magazine sales are dropping..."

"What?" I asked. She looked at me strangely.

"You don't know?"

"Know what?"

She sighed and leaned in closer, so nobody else could hear. "Were losing sales. If the market keeps doing as bad as it is...were just looking at a few more weeks here. Everyone will..."

"Lose their jobs." I said. Why didn't Andrew tell me?? Maybe I was too focused on John and everything else these past two days to even notice and realise what was really going on.

She patted my arm. "I'm going now. See you around huh?" She gave me a warm smile. I returned the smile and watched as she turned around and walked over to an upset Andrew. They talked.