1

You let out a groan as you felt your eyes slowly opening, causing you to awaken from your sleeping form. You slowly stretched your arms upwards, eyes still squinted at the little bit of sunshine that peaked in through the part of the window that was left exposed. You slowly began to think normally as you sat up in the bed, blanket still hugging your legs as you then let out an excited squeal.

First night in my own home.

You smiled widely as it hit you: you had slept like a baby in your new home. You quickly got out of bed, walking towards the window as you moved the curtains, looking at the sun shining outside. Your smile immediately dropped as you caught a glance at the window that you had seen your neighbor... having sex. Curiously, you examined the living room of the house next door, seeing the nice leather couch that you had paid little attention to last night. There was a nice black, furry rug on the floor beneath the coffee table that had a glass top on a white base with drawers and crystal handles. Your eyes drifted to the bookshelf on the other side of the room, filled with books. You squinted your eyes to get a better view of the titles of the books. All the books were either about dancing or music.

A lover of the arts, huh?

You tore your gaze away from the neighbor's house as you began looking at the sky. It was sunny today, hardly any clouds to be found in the sky. You moved away from the window, walking to the bathroom. You did your skincare routine and brushed your teeth before walking back into the bedroom, checking your phone.

Joy: Hi!!! Sorry I couldn't get an earlier flight. It sucks not being there to help you unpack 😔 love you and see you soon!

You smiled down at your best friend's text message before typing up a reply.

Y/N: it's fine! I already sort of met my neighbor. Love you, have a safe flight! 😊

You set the phone down before sitting on the bed once more, thinking about how fun she must be having in California. She probably already had at least ten job offers from different employers. She's very sociable and loves meeting new people all the time. That, along with her assertive attitude, makes it easier for her to find a job and meet new friends in California. You already saw on her Instagram that she had made a lot of friends and would spend her free days at the beach.

Growing up, Joy was the one who easily made friends, and everyone loved her. At parties, you two would both be social, but something about her always attracted more people to try to talk to her. With you, people would talk, but the conversations were short and mostly about school. Don't be fooled, you're not socially awkward. You drink at most parties, go straight to the dance floor, and occasionally test out a few edibles here and there, but the way you are at parties is nothing compared to Joy. She's the one who tells the DJ when they're playing shitty music and will take over. She's the first person on the dance floor even when a party is boring. She was the life of the party. You were merely a follower.

You became friends in middle school and ended up staying friends since. You see her as a long-lost sister, especially since you grew up as an only child. She is always the first person to listen and help you with any problems. There are even times when she manages to read your mind.

Joy: ooohhh I'm glad! Is he/she cute??? 😏 and I will, don't worry!

Apparently, she can read my mind through text messages now too. Fun.

You rolled your eyes as you locked the phone and glanced out the window once more to see your sexy neighbor walking into his living room, stretching as he headed to his kitchen, preparing a coffee for himself. You immediately looked away and began to grab clothes for the day. You walked into the living room, carefully avoiding the boxes before walking to the one with your everyday clothes in them. Using your nail, you managed to cut the tape, lifting the flaps of the box as you grabbed a graphic t-shirt and a pair of jeans.