♟ Chapter 10 ♟

B e l l a  ♣  A l b y      

I woke up as soon as I felt some sticky substance on my face. I opened my eyes only to be greeted by my father's face. I touched cheek before I smelled my fingers. Eww! It smelled like a rotten tomato. I heard my father darkly chuckle. "Bitch," he said. I don't think he remembered my actual name. "Wake up and go to school. I don't want any complaints coming like 'your daughter is tardy'. If I hear any negative comment from the teachers about you, then I'll make sure you'll receive deadly punishments."

I swallowed audibly. I understood what he meant by deadly punishments.

Weakly nodding my head, I sighed. I can't do anything against him. He slapped me on my face before he turned and walked away. Wincing loudly, I got up and closed my room door which he left ajar open while he went away.

I made my way to the adjacent bathroom and did my regular activities. I went to my closet and saw mostly all the dresses were the same but different in colour which made me laugh humourlessly. At least I was getting something to wear.

I wore a greenish-blue t-shirt and leggings before sauntering to the kitchen

"Sir," I said it in a small voice. He turned around to look at me. "Could you drop me to-"

"Oh! I have to go out," he interrupted before grabbing the keys of the car. He didn't give me a second glance and opened the main door. "Bye, bi!" He kicked the door shut.

He purposely left me behind. Walking back to my room, I packed my backpack.

I made my way to the front door and for the house keys but I ended empty-handed. I sighed thinking about the consequences I was going to face for not locking the door. My father wouldn't listen to what I would have to say.

Stepping out of the house, I closed the door.

Now, how in the world will I go to school? By walking? I let out a breath and puffed out my chest. "Ok Bella, I know you can walk for umm..." how many kilometres it would be from here? Maybe six kilometres. It took around fifteen minutes to reach by car. "Bella, I know you can walk six kilometres. It'll take only one and a half hours." 

I began striding while encouraging myself.

After a few minutes, I started giving up. It was so difficult to walk for a long time, that too non-stop. 

I huffed. I was not at all healthy.

"Come on, Bella you can walk to school. Come on... Come on--" I stopped talking to myself when I saw people staring at me as if I was some crazy patient roaming around.

I halted walking and leaned against the tree to my left. My breathings were ragged.

I was malnourished as I didn't really get much to eat. I shouldn't get greedy for food now because I had my lunch yesterday. My father always told me that I deserved a little. Otherwise, I would become more selfish than I already was. I agreed with it, I was an unnecessary being wandering on the surface of the earth. As my stepmother quoted, 'I was scum.'