♟ Chapter 2 ♟

A/N: Trigger warning: Abuse             

BELLA

"Are you done with packing? It's time to switch the lights off," my father's voice boomed out of his room. 

He was indirectly demanding me to hurry up packing. I nodded my head but then remembered that he couldn't see me. I knew he was waiting for me to shout the answerback, but from my experience, I realized raising my voice would mean being taken to the basement for a colourful beating. I also can't keep mum waiting without an answer. So, I got up from the wooden floor and made my way to his room. 

I tapped on the door only once. Again, from the past, I have learned that I should never knock more than once. If I did, it'd be a death wish signed by me. 

I kept my head bowed as he slowly opened his door. When it was fully open I felt my hair being yanked by the grasp of someone's fist. However, I kept my eyes glued to the floor. I didn't dare to look  at him directly in the eyes. 

"Look at me when you are supposed to!" As soon as he calmly yelled those words, I obeyed. 

Father's face was calm. He seemed tranquil, yet his eyes told a different story. It was clouded with fury and his lips twitched upwards into a sadistic smile. You could see his satisfaction as I cowered.

"Do you know, when I went to your school...Okay, so what was I going to tell you?" He pretended as if he were thinking. "Answer me! What was I fucking going to tell you about?" 

I opened my mouth to speak but closed it, too afraid to talk in his presence. I must have looked like a fish because of continuous gaping. How was I supposed to answer his question? 

He lifted his other hand and slapped me hard across my face, leaving a bad stinging sensation. If it wasn't for him gripping my hair so tight, I was sure I would have flown across the hall because of the intensity. A cry tried to escape my lips but I held it back.

"You need to answer! Oh yeah..." he facepalmed himself. "How would you know what I was going to tell you? But you should've known what I was going to talk about if you were as smart as to how your teachers described you today. If you were a talented person like how Ms Surfray told me, you would've thought differently, yeah? They thought high about you, a useless, eccentric bitch compared to my son—my golden boy." 

Tears pooled in my eyes. He let go of me as if his job was done. I descended the stairs to lock all my packed bags.

When I reached the bottom of the step, I let my tears lose. Things that were once neatly packed before were all scattered on the floor. I looked up and saw Lewis who had a mocking sadness plastered on his face.