Chapter 4👑

April 17.

Kano, Nigeria.

Khadijah Daihaah's POV

First and second years ended in a blink of an eye—figuratively though. The mental and physical stress were anything but a blink of an eye. It was so hectic that I doubt I'd forget any time soon.

Janan graduated, and since their set left, Deen hasn't been visiting as frequent as before. Apparently, he has graduated from the university he attended too and so has started working. Hence, why he hardly visits.

BUK won't be the same without them but, we move.

Although I'd miss Janan's presence, I won't miss her midnight drills. I'm glad we don't have to go through that anymore since we had to share the same room for two years. How that happened? Allah's plan. God knows I can't stand waking amidst of the night over and over, simply because Janan thinks Jinns are talking outside.

Don't get me started on how creepy that was.

On the good side, I turned 18 last week.

Muhsin had completed his studies too. Our relationship is much better than before. At this stage, if someone addresses him as a boyfriend of mine, I wouldn't argue. The labels still aren't there but, I guess our families think otherwise. I'd say they've started preparing for a wedding, though nothing's official yet.

Umm Sulaym, the most social person in our group, happens to be in a relationship too. No surprise to that. I'd actually expected it'll happen sooner but, it did happen either way. What I didn't expect however is for her partner to be Deen. Trust me, none of us saw that coming.

What matters the most is that they're both happy.

Still on relationships, Jannah is the only one that's single and not ready to mingle. I honestly don't know what got into that girl. For some reason, she decided to fall in love with some guy she only met once. All I know that is that he saved her from Scorpion—and that's all.

Sighing, I rummaged through my closet to look for the most appropriate traditional outfit to wear. I don't want to wear anything that's not traditional knowing full well that Hajiya Kaka will give me an earful and a two hours' lesson about how children these days' dress like ' Yahu dawa'.

Her words, not mine.

"Dijeh! You have two minutes to dress up or we're leaving you here!" Ummi called out. She's downstairs so she had to raise her voice for me to hear her.

I shook my head, groaning as I kept on searching for the right outfit. Eventually, I found a wrapper that I believe is traditional enough. At least with that, I'm sure I won't get a scolding from my grandmother. That woman is just as cranky as her old age when it comes to tradition.

I hastily put it on, knowing that I don't have much time. When I'm done, I headed downstairs.

My entire family is going to Karaye for a week to visit our grandparents. It's a tradition we do annually and everyone's always excited for it.

Getting into one of the three cars we're taking there, I plugged in my earpiece and leaned back on the seat.

Karaye, here we come.

*****

Karaye, Kano.

The car came to a halt in front of the palace where our grandparents live. Abba happens to be the eldest son of the King of Karaye. The second song being our uncle, Lamido.

The Karaye Palace stood in its glory. It's just as I remembered it. The building is still the same except that it had been repainted. The tall old walls are still intact just as it was built in the olden days. The building might be old, and the exterior hasn't been renovated, ever, but it still has character.