Chapter 2👑

June 18.

Kano, Nigeria.

KHADIJAH DAIHAAH'S POV

I'm happy. Alhamdullilah.

I just checked into my dorm, along with my friends who luckily for me, are my roommates. I have to admit, I'll miss my mother and her endless scolding. For as long as I can remember, I'd never spent a long time away from her. This will be the first. However, the excitement of being in university surpasses that feeling. For now, that is.

Then again, we live in the same state so I can visit her any time I want.

My dearest step mother, Umma seemed more excited than I am to leave the house, if that's possible. When I went to bid her farewell, she said and I quote "Allah raka taki gona. Finally! We're going be free from some of the bad energy in this house. Da Allah tashi ki ban waje". And with that said, she sent me out of her flat, all the while grinning out of joy.

I didn't let it get to me though. I don't think there's anything that'll ruin my mood today. Not even Umma or her never-ending insults.

My roommates happened to be my best friend; Jannah, other friends of mine, Umm Sulaym, Ummul Khulsum and a senior of ours, Janan. Janan is in her final year, she seems nice. She's really beautiful and is a little bit dramatic, I guess that's how most girls are nowadays.

"Oh God!" Jannah exclaimed. "Finally! We're in University!"

"Stop being so overdramatic" Khulsum—the oldest amongst us, and the most sensible, rebuked. She rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "Seriously you act like a child at times"

"Give her two weeks" Janan cut in. "After then, she'll hate the sight of university. It's common for a fresher to act this way. I remember when I first came here. I was over the moon" She then chuckled, and tsked. "I'm telling you, BUK is not a joke. The stress alone will make you want to run for your life"

"Guess what I just heard!" Umm Sulaym squealed coming into the room. She stepped out after setting her stuff in earlier. I don't know where she went off to but judging by the way she looks right now; she must've went around speaking to the people she knows. Amongst us all, she's the most social one.

We all swiveled our heads to her direction. My eyebrows drawn in.

"What is it?" Janan asked sitting up.

"Some senior is throwing a party for all the freshmen tonight!"

"Yeah...." Khuslum grinned, "I'm not going" Her grin disappeared.

This made us chuckle. Leave it to Khulsum to act in such way.

"Same" Jannah agreed laying back on her bunk.

I moved my gaze back to Umm Sulaym, who had her gaze fixated on me. I shrugged, "Sorry. I can't go"

She hissed "You guys are no fun wallahi" She threw her phone on her bed before slouching next to Janan who patted her shoulder.

"Who's throwing the party?" Janan asked the now sulking Umm Sulaym.

"Some Deen guy"

Janan laughed lightly "That's what I thought" She turned around to look at us, "Deen isn't a student here. He just crashes around whenever he's back. But don't worry about his parties. They always call it a party but it's just a hangout event. There's nothing bad about it"

Ummul Khulsum shake her head. "No way. There's no way, I, Ummul khulsum Yaqub, am going to some guy's party" Classic Khulsum. Umm Sulaym shouldn't have asked to begin with. She's the only social person amongst us.