Chapter 16 👑

KHADEEJAH DAIHAAH'S POV

It has been two weeks and Ummi still hasn't woken up. Every day I spend the day with her, hoping and praying by every second that she wakes up but still no avail. Ummi' relatives had came, but only two stayed since they all can't stay. The problem with them staying is that they keep insisting that I should go back home with them.

Umma is another problem. She already had the inheritance shared and made sure my mother and I got nothing. But honestly, their money is the last thing on my mind. And that leads us to another problem; Ummi's relatives kept insisting for me to stay with them in Zamfara nonstop since I have no other family but I don't want to leave. Adda Anee has been persisting that I stay with her too but I can't. I owe her and the El Khabirs too much already.

Jannah had been accompanying me to the hospital every day, and for that I couldn't more grateful. At least I know she's always with me.

I still remember what happened when I went back to the place I once called home the next day after I visited Ummi.

Adda Anee and I went to our once called home together. She admitted that I have every right to be there so it's not right for her to try to stop me. I didn't want to go but I just have to.

The house looks nothing like where I grew up in. At one side of the house, big parasols were set up where the men sat, amongst which I spotted Baba Sarki, Ya Abdul and Ya Moh. Ya Abdul seems to couldn't care less about what happened, in fact he seem bored whereas Ya Moh had bloodshot red eyes and is the one interacting with other men. Baba Sarki as usual took the liberty of being the strong one.

I looked away and followed Adda Anee in. Ummi's flat is filled up with her relatives and that's where I intend to go. Unfortunately for me, that means I have to pass by Umma's flat and moreover that just happened to be where she sat with her relatives. I watch as she wiped her crocodile tears with a handkerchief while talking with some friends of hers. It doesn't take a genius to know that those are fake tears.

How feeble.

Her head flicked to where Adda and I stood. She looks surprised for a while before it turned to anger, "You!" she yelled standing up abruptly, in the process fixing her wrapper that almost fell.

Adda Anee quickly stepped in front of me, walking to where Umma is to stop her, "Umma please don't create a scene here" she pleaded with Umma but it fell on deaf ears.

I however just stood there thinking of just ignoring her and walking away, but choose otherwise.

Umma turned around and glared at Adda Anee which made her involuntarily step back, "Barni! Don't you dare say anything to me about this girl! "

I looked away not wanting to keep looking at the woman who just wants to embarrass me more than she already did. It took everything in me not to just walk away and ignore her. Honestly, she can talk her head off and I wouldn't bat an eyelash over it.

"Daman my late father before he died told me that Shatu and her daughter will kill my husband one way or the other, gashi yanxu kun kashe min Uthman. It's your entire fault!!" she yelled walking to where I stood hastily.

Adda Anee held her hand making her stop, "Umma please don't do this, we don't have to start pointing fingers at each other. Daihaah is only here because of Abba-"