Chapter 30

When I woke we were no longer on the plane. I was in a huge bed in dark room and in a lot of pain. I stared around for a minute or two for something familiar but there was nothing. The silence was deafening and as I couldn't sit up without help due to my injuries I felt very isolated and desperate to go home. The realisation that I had no home to go back too, was in a different country and had lost everything hit me like a ton of bricks. I didn't even have any pictures of my family as they were all destroyed in the fire. I had totally lost them now.

I lay there crying. It was the first time I had been alone since everything happened. There were pictures of my parents that I had treasured with all my heart, which I would never see again. Pictures of my brother and sister pulling faces with me on family holidays, or opening Christmas presents as kids. I was heartbroken.

When the door opened a few minutes later Edwards mother walked in with a tray, she took one look at me and put it down rushing over to hug me gently.

"It's ok, you are home," she said trying to sooth me but it didn't feel like home. I wanted to go home. I wanted the noise of the shop, the smell of coffee and my own bed. She called out something is French to someone as I continued to cry.

"Let's sit you up," Piers said as he appeared and gave me a sorrowful look. Edward's mother moved to let Piers help me as she disappeared out of the room. It was too painful when we tried it alone so he called out to get us some assistance.

Edward rushed into the room, his expression made me cry even more. He was breathless so had obviously ran from wherever he had been. Gerard right behind him.

"I'll do it Piers," Gerard said moving to lift me up quickly, making me cry out, but at least it was over with.

"Here are her painkillers," his mother said arriving back in the room as I leant forward against Gerard waiting for the pain to subside. He had named himself my 'pillar of strength' at the hospital as moving on my own had been the hardest and most painful aspect of the recovery. My recent knock had obviously set me back a bit as I was in agony.

"There you go. All done just stay still," Gerard said as I felt Edwards hand stroke my hair.

"She needs something that will work faster than those pills," Ernst said in the background. "She is in agony. She should still be in hospital."

Before I could panic Edward saved me. "You've seen the video footage she was ok earlier. She hurt herself on the plane by banging herself against the sink unit in the toilet, which has left her sore but her stitches are ok. They said she would recover better here."

"Don't worry, you are staying here," Gerard whispered as he continued to support me.

"I still want her checked out again here," Ernst argued.

"The doctor is at the palace talking to Albert," Edward informed him and Ernst walked off as I closed my eyes trying to block out the pain.

"Try to relax," Gerard said feeling my tension. The pain would almost ease but then came back with vengeance.

Edward walked around and climbed onto the bed so he could see me better. "You look terrible," he whispered and I nodded gently that I felt it. "Do you want to wait for the doctor to come or do you want these painkillers?" he asked. "He should only be a few minutes. The villa is just by the palace."

I couldn't answer as the pain grew again and I tried to breath through it.

"She feels really hot," Gerard said as I started to feel sick.