Chapter 42

"Just close your eyes," Arthur whispered.

"How did I not notice? I'm so stupid. That poor baby," I couldn't stop worrying and no matter how exhausted I was I couldn't sleep until I had heard back from Edward.

"Shhh, don't dory about that now, Just catch a few minutes sleep and I'll wake you when I hear anything."

"I can't. Is he late coming back because something happen and he..."

"No, he is not late. He is doing what you asked, staying with the baby whilst they stabilise him."

"But what if they can't and he..."

"Stop panicking. You are creating scenario's that are not happening and just upsetting yourself. You need to rest."

I looked at my stomach covered in a white hospital sheet and blue blanket. How did I not notice? Surely I would have feel a baby in there!

Even though my body was pain free I could feel the discomfort between my legs. I felt like I'd been impaled and the stiffness of my hips, legs and shoulders were no doubt due to exhaustion and being hauled around to get the baby out.

'The baby out', still those words seemed like a delirious dream. If I had finally lost the plot and this was all in my imagination who could blame me after everything I had been through lately.

"Mary will be here soon. She's just popped to the villa to get you some things on the way from the airport," he said trying to take my mind off things.

The door knocked and a nurse entered with Stan.

"Hello, congratulations," she said in perfect English. "I need to do check your blood pressure and temperature."

"Any news?" Arthur asked Stan as I was checked over by the nurse.

Stan shook his head. "You need to get some shut eye," he said looking at me with concern all over his face.

"I can't seem to switch my mind off," I admitted as the nurse took my temperature. "I keep getting twinges."

"It is normal," the nurse replied. "Your womb is contracting back. Are you in pain?"

"Discomfort."

"I'll see if we can get you anything to ease it," she said smiling sympathetically before leaving the room with Stan behind her.

"Arthur please check again," I pleaded the minute the door was shut.

"I can't get down there. It is on lock down. Edward will come back as soon as he can. He didn't want to leave you but you insisted. He will be back soon."

That was not the answer I wanted so I bust out crying again.

"Don't start that again," he sighed. "Come on Mary where are you?" he mumbled to himself as he tried to comfort me.

A few minutes later Mary arrived like a whirl wind through the hospital and Arthur breathed a sigh of relief.

"Awww come here," she said dropping everything she was carrying on to a chair and rushing over to hug me. That was it I was off again sobbing my heart out as I wished my own mum was here and I hadn't seem Mary since before I was shot. She held me tight until I regained control again. "Well you've given us all a lovely surprise today," she said. "Even yourself."

I nodded.

"Giving birth is not as romantic as you thought hey," she said making me smile.

"Not at all," I said embarrassed in hindsight at what Edward had witnessed.