Chapter 40

"Victoria... Victoria," I heard called waking me.

I blinked my eyes a few times as my dream faded and I stared ahead at Arthur. I blinked trying focus and expecting him to fade too. He didn't.

"Hello kiddo. You look like shit," he said.

I stared, blinked.

"Well do I get a hug?" he asked leaning in closer.

As soon as I smelt his aftershave I knew it was him. It was not a dream. I put my arms out desperate for a hug and immediately started to sob my heart out.

"Hey come on, its ok," he said hugging me, kissing my head and rubbing my back as I refused to let go. I had needed someone to tell me that for months. I had needed a hug for months. I had needed my loved ones with me but knew I couldn't. Now I didn't care I wanted to hug Arthur and not let go.

We sat like that for a few minutes as he let me cry it out and even lay on the bed with me so I could cuddle up to him.

"Spoilt!" I heard Stan say as he came around the cubicle curtain.

I smiled.

"I have to head off for a few days. I am leaving Arthur to ensure you get the right medical care. You are surrounded by best guards you could wish for. Not that they know who you are here so you will stay low until I come back. I will be back as soon as I can."

"Have you found something?" I asked keen to know.

"No I am going to talk to sources. Going to visit the scene of the crime all three. The massacre of your family, the explosion and back to the street of the second shooting. The person fantasised about it, rehearsed it and carried it out. I am going to get under his skin and shake up his life until someone gives him up."

"Don't get hurt."

He tutted and rolled his eyes as if it was the most stupid thing he had ever heard.

"You are not bullet proof Stan."

"Neither are you," he said and grinned.

"Yeah I think I've proven that twice over. Will you see Mary and Edward?" I asked desperate to give them a message.

"I'm staying at Arthur and Mary's whilst in the village but Mary is staying at her daughters as Arthur is here. I will see Edward in Monaco to report back on you. Do you have a message?" he asked knowing it would be yes.

"That I love him and I loved his letter and the chocolate."

"Anything else?"

"That I am ok."

"But you are not. He knows that," Stan said raising an eyebrow.

"Well just tell him I am getting better and not to worry."

"That would be lying too and he will worry no matter what I say. I have to report on your medical condition. How can I do that and add a caveat of 'she is getting better' when you haven't even been treated yet."

I sighed.

"Right is that it. You love him, loved his letter and the chocolate?"

"And I miss him and his kisses..."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. I am not talking smushy to the Prince for you."

Arthur and I laughed.

"Just tell him I miss him and can't wait to go home. Oh and I am never eating rice or spam again."