Chapter 27

"Stay still Victoria," Arthur said as my hands tried to reach out to grab hold of things. "Hold her still we can't have her moving. You've been in an accident. I need you to stay still."

I tried to speak but my mind didn't know what it wanted to say. My lips couldn't form words. Even my ears hurt and my face felt strange.

My hand tried to reach up and touch it but it was held still.

"Where is this fucking helicopter?" Piers yelled frantic.

I tried to look in his direction but my head was held in place between someones knees. I could them hanging over me along with the heat of fire, roaring and smell smoke...

"Victoria... Victoria...," Arthur called. "Edward you need to breathe for her again. Where are they?" Arthur yelled.

-----------------------------------------

"Victoria... come on wake up... look at us... non responsive..."

-----------------------------------------

"Ok let's get her into surgery I'll do the chest drain myself. Victoria? Can you hear me? I am a surgeon at the hospital you have been in an accident. We need to rush you to theatre to fix a few things but we have stabilised you at the moment, ok?"

I tried to open my eyes but they wouldn't stay open longer than two seconds. My head felt too heavy to move. My chest felt like there was someone sat on it. The beeping noises, the voices all talking together, the noise of wheels rolling along floors...

"You've lost a lot of blood. We need to operate. Do you understand? We have permission to operate from your next of kin."

It slowly dawned on me where I was. My mind sparked off its 'run' response but my body lay still. I was paralysed... my heart rate raced setting off alarms. My arms couldn't moved. I felt like Frankensteins Monster trying to sit up but unable to and moaning.

"Try not to panic. Come speak to her for a moment and help calm her down."

Arthur appeared and shed a few tears as he looked at me. "You keep dragging me out of retirement," he said as I felt him take my hand.

"Wha..." I couldn't speak my throat felt crushed.

"There was an explosion at the shop, if you hadn't been in the bath..." he said and shook his head as he started to cry. "Now you have to be big and brave as they need to sort you out," he said trying to stop himself from crying.

"Ed..." I tried to swallow so I could say the word.

"Edward is fine, they had popped to our house to let us know you were home safe... well before this happened," he said. "He is outside waiting. Do you want to see him?" he asked.

I tried to nod my head as I wanted to see him desperately. If I was going to die, seeing his face one last time would make it easier.

"I'll go get him for you," he said kissing my head.

"Not long now," the nurse said "We are just prepping theatre."

I heard his feet approach and tried to turn my heavy head as he came into view. He looked a mess, filthy dirty and covered in blood. He walked straight over and gave me a few gentle and very much needed kisses. "I'm so sorry," he replied and tried not to cry but his eyes filled with tears so I knew I was in bad shape.

I started to cry.

"We're ready," the nurse said.

"I've had to tell them we are engaged as you have no next of kin and they needed someone to make the decisions for you," he whispered as he stroked my hair.