Chapter 35

Recovery from the operation was just like having a really heavy period for a few days. I had aches and pains but the other incisions were barely an inch long so healed relatively quickly. I just felt like I had done too many sit ups... not that I ever did them.

A month later and I was back to normal. We'll as normal as I could get being engaged to a Prince, living in a country I didn't speak the language of and other than a little physio therapy, counselling and my scars, I was back to my pre-blown up self. Nookie and all!

Edward was off doing his prince stuff and I was left alone at home. Yes there were guards but they stayed out of the way as they had a job to do and didn't need me distracting them. I was surprised how easy it was to forget they were there. Tonight was the first full day I would have away from Edward. I had coped sleeping alone last night with just a phone call from him after he left that afternoon, maybe because I fell asleep and woke up early this morning.

I had rummaged around the house today. Moving things around to how I wanted them. I just hadn't got around to it. I planned to go to town and get a few things. Not that I really knew where town was but I would take a walk past the palace and find it.

My bankcard had arrived and I was determined to check my balance and see if I could afford some new bits for the house. It was a spur of the moment thing and I was keen to put my stamp on it by the time Edward came home.

Mary and his mother had picked up some items for me before but this was my chance to do it for myself and prove to everyone that my counselling was working. I was able to perform on a normal level without the fear of being blown up, shot or never seeing Edward again. It's time to take the bull by the horns as my dad would say. It was my next milestone.

I put on a nice dress, some flat shoes, sunglasses and a hat. I knew the way to the palace by now as we had been there for dinner several times. Amazingly it was not 'posh nosh' but normal dinner served in a small dining room like a family Sunday dinner. There wasn't a menu with a choice of starters etc it was just one main and a pudding if I ate it all up. That was it.

I walked out of the front door, smiling at my key ring as I locked it behind me.

"Are we going out?" a guard asked.

"I'm just taking a walk into town," I said. "Is that ok?" I asked wondering if I should have consulted with his first.

"Yes," he said before signalling to others.

I heading off down the driveway.

They followed but stayed back whilst looking inconspicuous.

I really enjoyed the walk, the feeling of the sun on my face and arms. I was covered in sun cream, as Edward was concerned I would burn. I had been in enough pain and discomfort lately so why add to it. My tan had built up slowly and nicely. I had white bits to show off!

I found my way to town pretty easily having travelled through it by car so often. I could already smell the fresh coffee and delicious food. I wanted to try it all but I knew the place I wanted to go. Edward had taken me before. I walked through the town and no one batted an eyelid. The sunglasses and hat worked. I found the small bistro and walked in.

"Bonjour," the owner called.

"Bonjour," I replied. "Erm... cappuccino and pain de chocolate, je vous plait," I was sure I got the pronunciation wrong but it was my first attempt.

"Just the one," he asked switching to English so I obviously had it wrong. Damn it!

"One, please," I replied and giggled nervously.