Chapter 36

We ate our steaks, sweet potato fries and green beans. The mustard dip was gorgeous and whilst I had a huge appetite my eyes were bigger than my belly. Edward ate what was left and even had both slices of apple pie and cream. I tried a mouthful and drank my tea but was soon too tired and full to move.

I was helped to the bathroom by Gerard to use the toilet and give myself a rub down with a wet face flannel. I was surprised how easily I could move even though I had just been shot hours before. My recent surgeries obviously made this seem a walk in the park and I joked with Gerard that Rambo was a pussy compared to me. There was hardly a part of me that wasn't scarred in someway. Edwards biggest scar was from when he fell off his bike as a kid and split his head open. His mother fainted when it happened. He said he was a total wuss when it came to pain and inpatient when it came to illness. He also said I had not only taught him patience but also that he had never really felt pain in his life other than heartache. It made me sound a total bitch but I accepted it as it was the truth.

I had spoke to Mary on the phone and told her not to worry I was fine. She said press were all over her house and the village. That someone had managed to catch the shooting on their camera phone as they filmed me coming out of the deli, having spotted me in the bookshop. I dropped to my knees to pick up Edwards olives and the window behind me shattered. I had even heard it as the guards were already on top of me as more shots rang out. I now knew why the TV wasn't on. Edward was protecting me. Youtube had a lot to answer for. There were other shots of guards blocking the view as I was carried out into the car screaming in pain and calling for Edward. I hadn't realised I was. Blood trail photos and the shopping littering the street. Mary and Arthur were so distraught that Edward promised to get them flown out as soon as the security detail was complete. There was no point in adding to Stan's already full plate. I promised them I would stay in the palace and not move anywhere. Mary mentioned the news and said the palace had issued a statement, along with our own palace. The prime minister had made a statement, the president of the US had tweeted about it and all secret services were in collaborating to find those responsible. She said there were experts on the news talking about it and said I shouldn't be out of the hospital but it was not a secure location so I was moved to the palace. Prince Albert was spotted covered in my blood and reported to have administered first aid at the palace. I had a vague recollection of him answering the phone to Edward but that was it. I hadn't seen him since.

Stan had appeared at some point as I dozed off and spoke to Edward who I was cuddled up to with one leg elevated on a couple of pillows.

"We have her phone and I am tracing who tracked her card. They got the location quick so they must had been watching the villa but given the security was pushing them back they would have to travel. When she used that card it would have pinged them her location and the mission was a go. They would have spied her, tracked her and her security detail before taking a pop at her. If she hadn't dropped that bag of shopping that bullet would have took her out. We are dealing with an amateur. Based on the trajectory and calibre of bullets it is a hit but it's got an old school feel about it. I think this is unfinished business to do with the assassination of her family. I'm using all my contacts and got the feelers out but one word keeps popping up 'Felix'. I don't know what it means yet but I can tell you what it means for her. She is on lock down. She may not like it but I am not here to make friends. I am here to save her life and find out who has it in for her."

"She won't give you any hassle," Gerard replied. "What the hell is this 'Felix' thing?"

"I don't know but she is caught up in it somehow. I can't stress to you enough how lucky you are to be holding her alive in your arms tonight."