Chapter 45

"Over here," the press called as I stood with Edward and our baby on the steps of the hospital. It was only a quick few shots but each flash of the camera made me feel anxious. I knew I was safe now but it didn't stop me feeling like I was a target.

When we finally made it back to the villa we were greeted by a new housemaid/nanny and the specialist care who were going to check on the baby a few times a day. Mary and Arthur were back over, having returned home for a short while. Mary had cakes and coffee waiting which made the place smell lovely and inviting. Edwards family were all there and excited to show off the nursery.

I don't know why I expected to feel better when I got home because I felt worse. I tried to shake it off but it just kept pulling me down again, like I was slowly drowning.

As everyone fussed the baby and had a hold I busied myself pottering around with Edwards mother telling the housekeeper how I liked things. She was only here to help a few hours a day and Piers had given her the run through on how Edward wanted things. Luckily the two were the same but it felt very strange explaining how I like my tea as I was used to serving others. She was retired from the palace but would happily come to the villa a few hours a day to help me, four days a week. If I hadn't managed to do the dishes, she would. If I hadn't done the washing, she would. If I wanted to go food shopping and needed a sitter she would watch the baby. She used to watch Edward as a child so joked that she was well prepared for his son. Her English was excellent and she was going to teach me French, bit by bit, every day. She said I wouldn't realise it but soon I would be able to hold a conversation like Mary.

I headed off for a lie down as the baby was settled into his beautiful nursery and I was shattered. The nursery was beautiful and decorated just the way we wanted it. I couldn't have asked for more.

"Do you mind if I join you?" Edward asked appeared in the bedroom a few minutes later.

I must have given him a strange look as he raised an eyebrow and came towards me with his 'lets talk' face.

"I'm tired," I replied turning over in the bed.

"So am I," he said starting to get undressed. Talk avoided. Phew.

I turned on my side and closed my eyes as he climbed in. He spooned up behind me and went to sleep. I managed to nod off myself soon after and was woke by the baby crying sometime later. He was hungry.

As I sat feeding him, Edward joined us with some paperwork.

"Can you sign this please?" he asked.

"What is it?" I asked wondering why he seemed so keen.

"It is the money from your compensation and house sale. It's obviously playing on your mind so this will put the money into the community centre and pays for a district nurse for the village."

I stared at him, gobsmacked.

"What? I know you well enough by now to tell when something is eating away at you. I saw your face at the mention of compensation. I want us to be rid of him too and we don't need the money. I'm loaded," he said joking to ease the tension.

I couldn't resist smiling back.

"Thank you, I didn't want seem ungrateful to everyone but I can't bear the thought of that money," I replied.

"You said before, you don't want anything from him and just want to be rid of him. So do I. Sign here and we are free."

I took the pen and signed with my spare hand as our baby took a few last lazy gulps of milk. He had his fill and was ready for to sleep it off.

Edward put the paper in hispocket and took his son to wind him as I sorted myself out. As I stood Inoticed I felt at ease, Edward had lifted a weight off my shoulders without meeven having to ask, and I could finally see our life coming together as hestood winding our baby whispering to him in French.ncolI_