Chapter 41

Edward was waiting back at my room and started to ask questions in French as soon as I was rolled in. He was pissed off and everyone knew about it.

I was in too much pain to even try to work out what he was saying but Arthur was already at my side promising to get me some pain relief. Everyone seemed to be rushing and not paying attention. In the end Arthur reached up and started the gas and air just to give me some relief.

"Deep and long breaths," he said holding the mask to my face.

At first I felt like it wasn't working and the next it became my best friend. It felt like forever before the doctor arrived. Edward was not happy as I couldn't lie down. My back was killing so knelt on the bed like a frog. I kept telling Arthur something was wrong. I could feel it, something was terribly wrong but I couldn't bear anyone touching me.

"She is in agony. What is going on?" Edward snapped in English.

"I am going to need her to turn around and lie down. We need to examine her," the doctor replied as another doctor joined him.

"She is too sore," Edward replied.

"She needs something stronger to relieve the pain before you examine her," Arthur added.

"Can we clear the room please?" the doctor replied. Nurses stepped out and even Gerard and Piers left. Arthur was watching the gas and air as Edward stood with his arms folded.

"I'm sick of being in pain," I cried. Edward reached out a hand even though he knew I would swat it away and didn't want to be touched.

"We believe we know what is wrong and given the recent issues I would rather it was keep in this room. My colleague needs to examine your fiancée in order to confirm my suspicion," the doctor said.

"Noooo!" I moaned. "They are not fucking touching me. I just want some pain killers and to go home. Edward please! Just take me home!"

"Oiii language!" Arthur said sounding like my dad. "They are here to help you, Edward can't do anything for you. He most certainly can't take you home. Lie down."

"Sorry I'm getting snappy but I'm in pain and I just want to go home. Please," I begged.

"Can we make her more comfortable first?" Arthur asked ignoring my pleading.

"I will take you home as soon as we get the all clear," Edward promised. "Lets get the diagnosis..."

"I know it means more surgery, I don't want to go through that again. I'm sick of it!"

"It's not necessarily more surgery," the doctor said silencing the room and getting my hopes up.

"Arthur what does that look like?" he asked flicking on a screen in my room and holding up an image. I couldn't be bothered to look as a pain in my back was increasing.

"Bloody hell," Arthur said sounding shell shocked.

I tried to look over my shoulder to see but instead looked at Edwards face. His anger disappeared and was replaced with pure shock... oh god I am dying! Was it cancer? Why can't my life just be easy?

"What is it?" I asked Edward but feared the answer as I was too scared to look at the screen in case I saw a huge mass. "If it's cancer you don't have to marry me I will understand."

"Baby," Edward said leaning over to me but never took his eyes off the screen.

"Mmm," I said thinking he was trying to comfort me and about to break the bad news. My heart stopped in panic.