Chapter 44

The past few weeks had been full of ups and downs, that had left us drained both physically and mentally. Two babies in the unit had died and two more were predicted to pass soon and nothing can prepare you for that. You have this helpless feeling of wanting to be able to save the baby but you know the doctors can't work miracles and some are just too poorly to make it through to the next day. Their short lives are full of medical procedures, pain and discomfort so sometimes you do see it as a release and that is not something I was prepared to feel 'ever'.

When the parents are given the bad news they are finally allowed to hold their child without all the medical fuss and away from everyone. The bravery of the parents who hold their child so it can die in their arms surrounded by love and prayers for a miracle, is just too much to witness, especially when there is a chance that you will be in that situation.

Edward had arranged for a specialist care team to set up at the villa as our son was out of danger but still needed 'special care'. We had to get away from the hospital as it was too stressful, and our absence would allow another family to have our private room. Edward hadn't left his son's side other than to sleep for a couple of hours and being home would take that pressure off.

Edward junior was a fighter, and putting on weight quite well. My milk was finally coming through and he had shown signs of wanting to feed from the breast so we tried, he was getting better at it every time. He even cried and fussed his head around looking for it whenever I held him. Edward tried him with a bottle and he loved that too but always slept better and longer after breastfeeding. His cheeks were getting fatter and today we would be taking him home.

The press had been briefed on 'no cheering', 'no shouting', etc to keep him calm. We would pose for a minute or two to get them off our backs. Security was high and I was beyond nervous.

Stan had finally explained what happened with my parents. A home grown terrorist team had used my family as target practice. It was a random attack, but it was also a test to show that the shooters were ready to climb the ranks in their sick organisation. Basically we were in the wrong place at the wrong time and had someone else pulled up they would have been killed instead of my family. It didn't help to hear that, and the fact I survived had not been known as they had left the country to celebrate their victory, the sick bastards. Only when the press picked up on my relationship with Edward did the horror of my past get dragged up and they realised that their 'operation' was not complete. There was a witness, a survivor and as such the person in charge made it their priority to complete the mission. That meant taking me out.

With so many people visiting the tea shop I never noticed strangers as most of them were tourists. However, when Stan visited Mary she told him about the local drunk, Mr Wilson. He was a retired policeman, ex army and had been a private detective for a while. She said he had tried to get in touch with people as he claimed to have information but given his history of being a 'pisshead' no one would listen. That was until Stan went around with his men. He found a wall full of pictures, information and initially it looked like he had been stalking of me. Usually Stan would have reacted to that with violence but he realised that Mr Wilson had been protecting me. He felt duty bound as I was being hounded by the press, and given my link to royalty he wanted to ensure I was protected. He was taking photos of anyone who showed an interest in me, especially strangers... just in case anyone overstepped the mark. He spotted two men who just didn't fit in with a tour group, they didn't check out the scenery or engage in any way with others. They watched me. At first he thought it was someone sent by Edward to ensure I was ok coming up to the trial as we were no longer together. It wasn't common knowledge at the time that Edward and I had dated but Mr Wilson sussed it out. It was only after the explosion that he realised the men on his pictures might be connected. He spent the next few weeks connecting the dots and trying to get someone to listen to his 'village drunk' ramblings.

He tracked one of them to a hotel and broke in to collect evidence. There was nothing concrete. He found some photos taken of an area, trees, dirt path, but couldn't identify where so took photos of them. Stan could place them. It was over looking our villa and closed off to public. They had been watching me all the time but couldn't get a 'shot'. Stan had no idea how I managed to dodge those bullets, yes there was security but he could have got the shot off... amateurs is what he put it down too. Mary put it down to my parents being my guardian angels and my panic attacks keeping me inside most of the time. Plus Edward wasn't comfortable with me being outside either especially with the press invasion. They could have been mistaken for photographers and ignored.

Then the first time I left the villa I was shot. He said they must have had another residence where they could radio through to an accomplice and say I had left. They would have waited for the security detail to relax and no doubt traced my card transaction as I shopped. That gave them my location and was why Edward had insisted I didn't use it. They must have repositioned, ensured they had an exit strategy and took the shot. Stan said I was lucky to survive and be so close to the palace. In reality I didn't stray too far from it as I was using it as a security blanket in case I did panic. The memory of being shot and witnessing Edwards uncle make the call to him, made my blood run cold.

Stan had used all the evidence from Mr Wilson to fill in the gaps in his own investigation based on my recalling of events. He was tracing them from the shootings and was able to track down the men. There was an operation but only one of the suspects survived and since then the survivor has admitted to being one of the shooters who killed my family. He shot my sister and me. I was shown a picture of him and recognised him from the shop. He had congratulated me on having a 'lovely face', saying I must have had a beautiful mother. At the time I didn't realise it but he was using the term retrospectively, 'had' not 'have'. How did he know she was no longer alive?

I had been so caught up in the trial I hadn't noticed it or even given him a second thought. They must have listened to people talking about the trial coming up and knew I would be away from the shop, set the bomb and waited for me to return. Then rang the phone and when the answer phone picked up... boom! Again they thought they had succeeded but I survived (barely), for some unknown reason. Stan thinks I am half cat and inherited nine lives.

I wasn't told the intricate details of the operation which resulted in the death of others, as it involved a current 'terrorist threat'. They found items in the property which helped identify other fractions and targets. Saved lives and gave them the names of other victims.

Having given birth and knowing my family would never get to see my little boy, or give him a kiss and cuddle, was the worst part of it all. I was trying to hide it but whenever I managed to get five minutes to myself I cried quietly because I missed them so much it was like all the drama had punched a hole through my heart and that wound was open again.

Every time someone gave me a reassuring smile or put their arm around me, I had to fight back the tears and wait as long as I could to excuse myself to use the bathroom. I'd even taken to sitting with the baby whilst Edward slept as I was ok physically now. I knew he suspected something was up with me but given my recent news he decided to let me have what little time I could 'alone'.

I would sit with the baby and think over things, again and again. Even the trial... they had glazed over that. Mark and his wife were sentenced to Community Service, she got a few weeks whereas he got a year. I was paid back all the money he had taken from me over the years. The house was sold and we were no longer tied to each other. I was also given compensation and he was banned from contacting me. I received compensation from a newspaper who printed an article where he was talking about our relationship, what I was like in bed and shared pictures of our past. Apparently, he had a sex tape of us, which I had no knowledge of... I mean for Christ sake what was wrong with him? I wanted him out of my life and I didn't want his dirty money in my account as I felt like every penny was still linking him to my life, but couldn't say anything as everyone had worked so hard defending me in my absence that to not take it was like throwing the 'reward' down the drain.

My insurance for the tea shop covered the rebuild of the community centre and cafe. My bank account was quite flush but instead of feeling happy to have some money for once, I felt sick to the stomach.

As soon as we got our babyhome I would confide in Edward as ask for his advice.