Chapter 8

Three months later.

"What do you want to do for your birthday?" Bet asked.

"Nothing," I replied shrugging as I didn't want to do anything.

"You can't stay in. You have to do something," she said.

"I have accounts to finish and I'm really tired," I said sighing.

"Morning," the postman said as he dropped the mail on the counter and Bet filled his thermal coffee mug. He loved to have it filled and drink it walking around the village on his deliveries.

I lifted the mail and there it was... the solicitor, the bank and anyone else who wanted money.

"See accounts!" I said holding them aloft to Bet.

"You go sort them letters out. It is quite enough down here and you look tired," I smiled gratefully and ventured upstairs.

I opened the letters cursing and sighing as I lay back on the sofa wondering what the hell I was going to do. As my eyes filled with tears of frustration I took a few deep breaths to hold them off. I composed myself just in time for Mary coming up the stairs.

"Here is a cup of tea for the birthday girl," she said.

I smiled and when she produced a cupcake with a candle in it I couldn't help but cry.

"You are suppose to blow the candle out not drown it," Arthur said appearing behind her.

I smiled through the tears and hugged them both as I blew the candle out and made a wish.

"What did you wish?" she asked.

"She can't tell you or it doesn't come true," Arthur said hugging me closer as he knew that the absence of my parents was the reason for my tears.

"Thank you both," I said and opened the card Mary passed me. It was of course hand made and beautiful. "You should sell these in the shop Mary," I said impressed with how good she was at her new hobby.

There was commotion downstairs as Bet shouted "GET OUT!"

I ran down stairs to see a dog running around the shop licking people.

"Coco," I said as I recognised her. Big mistake! I was floored and slobbered on in seconds.

"Do you know this animal?" Arthur asked as he pulled her back and helped me up.

"Yes," I said laughing as she licked him to death. "She is Edwards," I turned to look towards the door half expecting him to be stood there but he wasn't.

"Obviously escaped," Arthur said giving me a pitying look. "I'll take her back."

He put out his hand to help me up as Coco rushed around licking several babies full on the face and knocking a few over or whipping them with her tail. I was amazed that not one cried. They were all fascinated. Arthur pulled her out by her collar and back towards the canal.

"Go finish your paperwork and wash your face," Mary said laughing at the state of me.

"How can one dog slobber so much?" I asked as I walked upstairs with damp and sticking up hair.

I stayed upstairs and tried to focus on the paperwork but my mind was distracted as I heard Bet squeal and heard the scampering of feet. Coco was back.

"Well the boats not there!" Arthur yelled up the stairs.

"It has to be. That is one of his dogs," I yelled.

Coco launched up the stairs for another slob-athon.

"Down, Sit, Stay!" I said.

"I asked and the boat isn't there. No one has seen him," Arthur said.

"Any other boats there that could be... you know," I said.

"Royal?" he whispered.

"Yeah," I replied.

"No, so you can keep the dog up here as she is like a wrecking ball down there," he said.

"What if he has gone past? Moored some where else and she has come back to a familiar spot," I asked.

"Might have and he'll be worried. What was the name of the restaurant he took you too?" Arthur asked.

"It was a pub and I don't know but it served veal and wild boar," I said.

"That will be easy enough to find. I'll call and see if he is there," he said and left.

Coco slumped herself at my feet so I raised them and used her as a hot water bottle to keep them warm.

As the day drew on and a storm rumbled overhead a knock came to the living room door. I look up from my desk; my heart became a humming bird and tried to fly out of my chest.

"Hi," Edward said smiling as he looked down to see Coco still asleep and my feet all toasty warm on top of her.

"Hi," I said. "My feet were cold."

"Happy Birthday," he said as I watched him looking me over.

"Thank you," I replied unsure of what to say or do but more than aware I was checking him out too. He looked amazing. I didn't know if he had become more gorgeous in my eyes because I had feelings for him or if I had feelings for him because he was so handsome.

"Do you have plans?" he asked snapping me out of my daze.

I shook my head, "I just want a quiet night," I replied.

"Can I take you to dinner?" he asked.

"What?" I asked gobsmacked.

"Can I take you to dinner for your birthday?" he asked.

I shook my head. I didn't know why I just did.

"Can I make you dinner here then?" he asked daring me.

"You can't cook," I replied smiling.

"I can microwave," he said. "Well sometimes I even get that wrong but..."

"No microwave," I said giggling.

"Can I take you for one drink then to toast your health?" he asked.

I shook my head again.

"You are blushing which I take to mean you want to say yes but are too shy," he said.

I laughed aloud he was probably right.

"I'll be back to pick you up at 7:00p.m," he said.

He disappeared out the door before I could say a word and he forgot his dog!

Oh my god I had a date.... well not a date. A drink... to my health. Either way I was nervous as hell and needed to raid my wardrobe. I ran to the bathroom and flung every good smelling thing in the bath.

Screamed down stairs to Mary to close up the shop and two seconds later I was screaming into a pillow with excitement.

Hewas back!