Chapter 39

"What we are going to do today is re-enact what happened on the day of your family shooting," Stan said. "We have surrounded you with gun fire to desensitise you to it. We have taught you about weapons. How to strip, load and aim a weapon so you can tell if the person is trained and what kind of weapon it was, was the shooter left or right handed. Look for a skin colour, eye colour, did they speak, was there an accent, was there a smell? What was he wearing, look for belts, tags, tattoos. We have taught you about bombs, targets, snipers and to listen to the noises most people wouldn't notice. Now you will."

I was prepared and knew it was time to face my most horrifying moment. The day I lost my family.

"Don't get weepy, get focused. If you can tell me enough information I will find the motherfucker and then its payback," he said with conviction. My father was ex military but Stan said once a solider always a solider and he was one of us. A solider. I was one of the guys now. It had been four months since I left Monaco. I had trained every day. I was still rubbish at hand to hand because I was weak. It was to be expected after being blown up and shot. Stan just wanted me to learn to defend and deflect I didn't have to win or kick ass.

"I want you to take baby steps in this process. I want you to describe one scene at a time. Close your eyes, take yourself back to the car. You are one a journey with your family, where are you going, who is in the car, what are they saying, wearing, what is on the radio, is it sunny... go take a seat in the back of that scene and watch it. Look at the back of your own head," Stan ordered.

We had practiced with other things. Like a game of memory. I was getting good at it so now it was time to get the answer to who killed my family and why.

"I am not expecting you to remember everything just describe it, get comfortable with it as we will be visiting this scene again and again. You can't be hurt, it is just a memory."

I took a few deep cleansing breaths. Stan had given me a book on meditation. There was always a reason for everything he did.

"We are in my fathers car."

"What speed is it going?"

"About 40mph."

"What is your destination?"

"There is a fete in town. We are going to see the stalls, buy some jam and pickle. Then head out to the local pub for something to eat."

"Are you taking the road you usually take?"

"Yes."

"No diversions."

"No."

"How is your father? Does he seem distracted? Tense?"

"No he is singing to my mum, a song on the radio is one of their favourites."

"What is the song?"

"The Beatles, I saw her standing there. My parents met when my mum was 17 at a dance so it was a special song for them."

"What is everyone else doing?"

"Singing along, my brother is pretending to air drum. My sister, mum and me are clapping along in the back. When it ends Twist and Shout came on. We are all singing along."

"Are you still at 40mph?"

"I think a bit faster maybe 50."

"Are you able to look out the window or ahead?"

"Yes."

"Do you see anyone?"

"No."

"Any cars?"