Chapter 43

The press announcement was made and shocked the world, just as much as it had shocked us all the day before. We were still stunned.

Edward had asked me not to read any papers or watch the news, as he felt the specialists being brought in to discuss the baby and how traumatic his birth was, would cause me undue concern. He wanted us to listen to the specialist in front of us, and ignore the world outside.

It the first 24 hours of our childs life I had gone from being so exhausted that I was convinced I couldn't get through labour, to being wide awake with panic and excitement until I saw my baby again. It was a very strange feeling and although they had cut the umbilical cord I knew there was this invisible thread that linked us, and that included Edward. We were a family!

Now it was case of taking everything at a snails pace, not rushing and to be prepared that our baby may have a few set backs, but that is normal as he adjusts to life outside the womb. The state of my womb, I was sure he had a better chance of survival out here in the incubator surrounded by experts and although he was only a few hours old, he was a daddy's boy. As soon as he grumbled daddy was there with his hands laid on him until he stopped crying.

It was obviously having an affect on Edward as he was happy one minute, annoyed and snapping in French the next. Especially when he felt something was being hidden from him. He wanted to know everything... everything! God help them if he wasn't told. He wanted to know what the monitors were for, what the reading should be, why they bleeped, what signs to look for in case our baby was in distress and he wouldn't leave his side. He hadn't slept and when I was taken back to the ward for a rest I knew there was no point in asking him to come with me. Plus I didn't want him to, I wanted him to stay with the baby. Selfish I know but I was terrified that something would happen and it would be like before, where we were relying on someone to come tell us what is happening, but it would be too late and our baby would be another victim in this mayhem I call life. Anyone who knew what I had been through lately could understand my fear.

Edward had said it wasn't selfish as he is the baby's father and my husband. Ok we weren't officially married yet but I knew what he meant and it made my heart swell with pride.

I was surprised I slept so easily when I was taken back to my room, and when I woke I knew I had needed it. I felt refreshed even though I was all aches and pains. I was still shocked and in desperate need to get back to my baby to the point I left the room and walked myself there... closely followed by Stan. Mary and Arthur had gone back to the villa to rest. Apparently Edward had joined me for a while as his mother had insisted she have some alone time with her grandson. Her way of getting her son to rest. He had powernapped and gone back as he was used to surviving on less than 7 hrs sleep a day. I hadn't even noticed he had joined me.

As I rushed ahead and ensured I cleaned my hands etc I couldn't help but stretch my neck to look ahead at Edward. It was then I noticed they were gone! I hadn't realised Gerard wasn't out front because I had Stan with me. The panic of my face made Stan step in and ask in French for me.

"He has gone for a scan. They will be back soon," he said, leading me into the room. As we started to walk through parents with their poorly baby's were looking at me with eager eyes. It was time to be the Prince's Fiancée, and he wasn't here for me to hide behind... and it is a hospital with poorly babies. As I swallowed down the fear and fought back the tears a mother spoke to me in English.

"Congratulations," she said and that was it, my fear was gone and replaced with baby talk and people asking me to pose for pictures with their baby. All promising not to release them to the press but I didn't mind. I was only concerned with my own child being put in there without Edwards permission.