Chapter 96

I woke up encased in soft cotton sheets. It was light behind my eyelids. I didn't want to get up, scared I would just be sent back to the basement. Someone shifted next to me, very close. I opened my eyes, preparing to see Draco sleeping next to me, me laying in green sheets on his very big bed. It was not Draco, however, but Hermione on white sheets with a knitted blanket with ocean blue and sandy brown colors laid over her—over us both.

"Hermione?" I asked groggily as I slowly became aware of where I was, of what happened yesterday.

She did not stir in her deep sleep. Her bruised face was still swollen. I sat up to grab my wand and saw Luna on the other side of her.

"Good morning!" she said cheerily, smiling at my surprised face. My face broke out into a smile.

"We did it, baby," I said, getting out of the bed to walk around to her side to not disturb Hermione. "We survived!"

Luna got up and hugged me.

"I'm so thankful you were there, with me," she whispered. "Mr. Ollivander wasn't the best company a girl could want, you know."

My hand stroked her long blond hair as we hugged.

"I'm more thankful that you helped me—" I choked when thinking of the emptiness inside me. I sat down on the edge of the bed.

Luna's blue eyes filled with sorrow. "We didn't all make it through..."

I bowed my head as she grabbed my hand, her thumb stroking mine.

"Who didn't make it?" asked Hermione, sitting up, rubbing her eyes and then wincing in pain.

I stood up. Now was not the time to be vulnerable. We were out, and I had a job to do.

"Here, Hermione, let me help you with that mess you are," I smiled at her troubling wounds. Her eyes widened—as much as they could—when she saw me.

"Lily!" she exclaimed in joy.

"Hermione!" I said with a joking mimicking tone. "I'll explain while I fix you up some."

I explained the events from when they arrived at the Manor. She was surprised by Draco's involvement but kept silent while I explained.

"Where are the boys?" she asked, her face and wounds healed. Emotionally, she went through severe trauma which I knew we all would have to worry about once the war was over.

"Downstairs in the living room is where they were put to bed," Luna said. She was sitting at the window facing the ocean. "The goblin Griphook took his own room."

"Let's go down there," Hermione sat up to get out of the bed. "And Lily," I turned away from Luna to see her. "You aren't done explaining things... we have your pouch."

She pulled my brown Gringotts bag from her pocket.

"Thankfully, they didn't turn out our pockets, otherwise it would have been left with the rest of our things at the tent."

I grabbed the bag and pulled out a change of clothes, not speaking. Of course, I knew I would have to tell them eventually, but was now the right time?

My hand brushed the leather-bound journal Fred gave me about two years ago. I pulled it out and, out of curiosity, opened it. I reminisced over the old entries and smiled over the memories. The cute bantering and flirting while we were apart. My eyes filled with tears thinking of him.

"Is that...?" Hermione asked.

I nodded in answer.

My mouth opened when I saw that there were new entries he left me.