Chapter 54

Published Jan 24, 2016

"That was brilliant, Harry!" said Ron, once we were safely on our way too break a short while later.

"You really shouldn't have said it," Hermione said, frowning at Ron. "What made you?"

"He had tried to jinx him," I said.

"Yeah, I had enough of that during those Occlumency lessons! Why doesn't he use another guinea pig for a change? What's Dumbledore playing at, anyway, letting him teach Defense? Did you hear him talking about the Dark Arts, he loves them! All that unfixed, indestructible stuff--"

"Well," said Hermione, "I thought he sounded a bit like you."

"Like me?"

"Yes, when you were telling us what it's like to face Voldemort. You said it wasn't just memorizing a bunch of spells, you said it was just you and your guts-- well wasn't that what Snape was saying? That it really comes down to being brave and quick-thinking?"

Harry argue with her, he knew she was right.

"Harry, Lily! Hey, Harry and Lily!"

I turned to see where to voice had came from. Jack Sloper, a fellow Gryffindor, was hurrying towards Harry and I holding a roll of parchment.

"For you both," panted Sloper. "Listen," he turned to Harry, "I hear you are the new Captain. When're you holding trials?"

"I'm not sure yet," said Harry. "I'll let you know."

I took the parchment, recognizing the thin, slanted writing. "Oh, right. I was hoping it'd be this weekend--" I showed Harry and we left him in mid sentence, hurrying away with Ron and Hermione. I unrolled the parchment as we went.

Dear Harry and Lily,

I would like to start our private lessons this Saturday. Kindly come along to my office at 8 P.M. I hope you are enjoying your first days back at school.

Yours Sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore

P.S. I like Acid Pops.

"He enjoys acid pops?" said Ron, who had read the message over my shoulder and was looking perplexed. Ron and I have been civil since school started, I didn't want to start any problems. We had a sort of unspoken truce going on.

"It's the password to get past the gargoyle outside his study," said Harry in a low voice. "Ha! Snape isn't going to be pleased... I wont be able to do his detention!"

The others talked about what Dumbledore would teach Harry and I while I finished some of my Runes homework. They thought Dumbledore would teach Harry and I some sort of advanced Defense. After break, Hermione and I went to Arithmancy while Harry and Ron went to the common room to start Snape's homework. They hadn't even finished it when Hermione and I got back to join them for our after-lunch free period. I then started my Defense homework and completed it with them, just in time for the bell to ring for the afternoon's double potions. We beat the familiar path down to the dungeon classroom that used to be Snape's.

When we arrived we saw that there was only a dozen people progressing to N.E.W.T. level, Draco Malfoy, four Ravenclaws, and Ernie Macmillian.

"Harry," Ernie said portentously, holding out his hand as he approached, "didn't get a chance to speak in Defense Against The Dark Arts this morning. Good lesson, I thought, but Shield charms are old hat, of course, for us old D.A. lags... And how are you, Ron--Hermione--Lily?"

Before we could get in a reply, the dungeon door opened and Slughorn's belly preceded out of the door. As we filled into the room, his great walrus mustache curved above his beaming mouth, and he greeted Harry, Zabini and I with particular enthusiasm.