Chapter 95

The door was tapped by a wand. It swung open and someone—many someones— were shoved in. The group groaned, obviously tied up as they were thrown in. The cellar door was not yet closed when there was a terrible, drawn-out scream from above.

"HERMIONE!" one of the prisoners bellowed, I could hear him writhe against his constraints. Luna rose from me, squeezing my hand before letting go. "HERMIONE!"

"Be quiet!" Harry said.  "Shut up, Ron, we need to work out a way—"

"HERMIONE! HERMIONE!"

"We need a plan, stop yelling—we need to get these ropes off—"

"Harry?" Luna whispered. "Ron? Is that you?"

Ron stopped shouting.

I heard Luna step closer to them

"Luna?"

"Yes, it's me! Oh no, I didn't want you to be caught!"

"Luna, can you help us get these ropes off?" said Harry.

"Oh yes, I expect so... Lily, grab the nail—there's an old nail we use if we need to break anything... Just a moment..."

"Lily?" Harry whispered. Hermione screamed again from overhead, and I could hear Bellatrix screaming too, but her words were inaudible, for Ron started shouting again.

"She finally has someone who responds to torture," I whispered through my clenched teeth.

"HERMIONE! HERMIONE!"

I started shaking as I grabbed the nail and passed it to Luna's steady hand.

"Is that what I sound like?" I whispered to her, hearing Hermione being tortured above me.

"Sometimes," Luna sighed, then talking to the group, "You'll need to stay still."

She began to dig at the rope's tough fibers to work the knots free.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know—"

"Lily, don't you dare apologize for what if sounds like when you're being harmed."

From upstairs we heard Bellatrix's voice.

"I'm going to ask you again! Where did you get this sword? Where?"

"We found it—we found it—PLEASE!" Hermione screamed again. I could hear Ron struggling harder than ever.

"Ron, please stay still!" Luna whispered. "I can't see what I am doing—"

"My pocket!" said Ron. "In my pocket, there's a Deluminator, and it's full of light!"

I made my way over to him. A few seconds later, there was a click, and light filled the basement. The orbs of light simple hung here, unable to rejoin their sources. I saw Harry and Ron, then a small goblin and Dean who were unconscious kept standing by the ropes that bounded them.

"Oh, that is much easier, thank you," said Luna, and she began hacking at the bindings again.

"You are lying, filthy Mudblood, and I know it! You have been inside my vault at Gringotts! Tell me the truth, tell me the truth!"

Another terrible scream.

"What else did you take? What else have you got? Tell me the truth or I swear I shall run you through with this knife!"

"There!"

The ropes fell away. Harry at once went to me and threw his arms around me, his hand covering my head and stroking my hair.