Chapter 48

Published Jul 3, 2016

I found myself standing in a country lane beside Dumbledore and looking ahead to the crooked silhouette of the Burrow.

"How are we so close?" I asked him.

"Oh, I shortened the enchantment, you guys will be leaving for Grimmauld Place in a week for safety reasons, of course," said Dumbledore. "And you are running out of room here..."

"True," I said, thinking of the many occupants now rooming in the house.

"If you don't mind," said Dumbledore, as we passed through the gate, "I would like a word with you both, in private. Perhaps here?"

Dumbledore pointed towards a run-down stone outhouse where the Weasleys kept their broomsticks. I followed them through the creaking door into a space around the average cupboard. Dumbledore lit his wand tip to illuminate the space.

"I am very much proud of both of you at how well you seem to be coping after everything that happened at the Ministry."

I nodded, Harry just swallowed as though he couldn't find his voice.

"Sirius is proud and pleased, you, Harry, will now go the Grimmauld place when you return home for holidays or the Burrow if you wish; either with you Lily. I'm happy that you both can now have a good relationship with Sirius."

I stared at the spider now climbing up Dumbledore's hat.

"Harry, I gather that you have been taking the Daily Prophet over the last two weeks?"

"Yes," said Harry.

"Then you have seen that there have been not so much leaks as floods concerning your adventure in the Hall of Prophecy?"

"Yes," said Harry again. "And now everyone knows I am the chosen one-"

"No, they do not," said Dumbledore. "There are only three people in the whole world who know the full contents of the prophecy made about you and Lord Voldemort, and they are all standing in this smelly, spidery broom shed. It is true, however, that many have guessed, correctly, that Voldemort sent his Death Eaters to steal a prophecy, and that prophecy concerned you.

"Now, I think I am correct in saying that you have not told anybody that you know what the prophecy said?"

"No," said Harry.

"A wise decision, on the whole," said Dumbledore. "Although I think you ought to relax it in favor of your friends, Mr. Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger. Yes," he continued when Harry looked startled, "I think they ought to know. You do them a disservice by not confiding something this important to them."

"I just didn't want-"Harry tried to say.

"-to worry or frighten them?" said Dumbledore. "You need your friends, Harry."

"I think that it is a good idea," I said and Harry looked over at me. "I would have wanted to know."

"On a different, though related, subject, it is my wish that you take private lessons with me this year."

"Private-with you?" said Harry, surprised.

"Yes, I think it is time that I tool a greater hand in your education."

"What will you be teaching me, sir?" asked Harry.

"Oh, a little this, a little of that," said Dumbledore airily.

Harry waited, as though hoping that Dumbledore would elaborate.

"If I'm having lessons with you, I won't have to do Occlumency lessons with Snape, will I?" Harry asked.